This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HDD is dying. Have to buy a new one. Windows 8 problem.

#1Ame_no_MurakumoPosted 10/17/2013 4:53:14 PM
My Windows 8 key is for an OEM License, so I can't download the installer and burn to a DVD. I do not have an SSD to copy a partition to. Is there anything else I can do? If not, I am totally out of a PC for a long time, as I pretty much only have money to buy an HDD.
---
www.youtube.com/knightsaziel I upload videos of Final Fantasy XIV and Terraria, at the moment.
#2self-immolationPosted 10/17/2013 5:26:52 PM
isn't the win 8 key is locked to bios/motherboard?
---
SMELL THE GASOLINE
I LIGHT THE FIRE INSIDE
#3Ame_no_Murakumo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 5:36:34 PM
self-immolation posted...
isn't the win 8 key is locked to bios/motherboard?

Yeah, I believe so.
---
www.youtube.com/knightsaziel I upload videos of Final Fantasy XIV and Terraria, at the moment.
#4fataliPosted 10/17/2013 6:09:39 PM(edited)
First, you should try to contact the PC manufacturer, they could give you a way to get the licence.

2nd, you can clone your current disc to the new one, that will include the recovery partition and your windows, should work fine after that. I have done this myself several times for clients, using the acronis cloning program.

3rd, If everything fails. I believe there was a way to activate by phone, just explain your situation to microsoft and they should give you a new activation. I remember someone posted in this board that you can make a new install, change a line of the registry and it will show the phone activation option, this topic was not too long ago, maybe a week or less.

---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#5Ame_no_Murakumo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 6:30:35 PM
fatali posted...
First, you should try to contact the PC manufacturer, they could give you a way to get the licence.

2nd, you can clone your current disc to the new one, that will include the recovery partition and your windows, should work fine after that. I have done this myself several times for clients, using the acronis cloning program.

3rd, If everything fails. I believe there was a way to activate by phone, just explain your situation to microsoft and they should give you a new activation. I remember someone posted in this board that you can make a new install, change a line of the registry and it will show the phone activation option, this topic was not too long ago, maybe a week or less.

Thanks..
---