This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What're your favorite scary games?

#11Tyranius2Posted 10/18/2013 2:18:13 PM
Buburibon posted...
SpazH3d posted...
Every time one of these threads get made, the top 3 choices are always: Amnesia, Outlast and Dead Space.

It gets so predictable.

And every time I wonder why Dead Space is even on that list. It obviously comes down to personal opinion, but to me any game that allows you to shoot back with guns isn't scary at all.

Agreed. Hard to feel scared when I can blast the enemy with ease.
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#12clowningPosted 10/18/2013 2:34:55 PM
Maybe it's just me, but games don't scare me. Movies don't either. I don't get it when other people get scared.

Now, I can be startled, you know, those so-called "jump scares" but that's just a gimmicky SURPRISE!!! sorta thing, not really scary or fear inducing.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#13ChetyrePosted 10/18/2013 3:02:37 PM
Fatal Frame is the scariest, but the first Silent Hill makes me feel extremely depressed and dreadful, so it's a good one also.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#14YoungAdultLink(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 3:16:56 PM
clowning posted...
Maybe it's just me, but games don't scare me. Movies don't either. I don't get it when other people get scared.

Now, I can be startled, you know, those so-called "jump scares" but that's just a gimmicky SURPRISE!!! sorta thing, not really scary or fear inducing.

That's how I usually feel. The first FEAR and its first expansion just kinda gnaw at my fight or flight reactions, though. Like, in a movie, you never feel threatened. You just tell the idiots on screen not to go in that door. In a game, though, they can mess with you. Perseus Mandate, for instance, had this one completely plain looking office, you never had to walk into it, wasn't even any ammo in there. If you did, though, you turned around and found you were blocked by Alma. It's the whole fact that she's just there and then she's not. You're a hardened combat veteran, and there's this child that you see, multiple times, tearing everything in a room to shreds.

I'm one of those that thinks Lovecraft was horrible at trying to scare people, but he set up a world in which other writers have created good things. Anyway, he always tries to describe these otherworldly things as being so far beyond you, something that you can't understand, something that doesn't even have to try to destroy you. I feel that Alma is a far better personification of that. It's not some great beast that humanity can't comprehend and looks at us as we'd look at a germ. It's this creature that's human, and yet not, a girl who just wants her babies back, but is willing to tear an entire military apart to do it.

Dead Space, yeah, it's all jump scares. Space zombies that want to eat you because they're space zombies, evil pillars that make you want to be a space zombie. Amnesia? It's horror, but it's not horrifying. Maybe it's just me, but I think the game would be much more interesting if you had a reason to want to go deeper into the castle. Maybe if you were someone who knew Daniel and was searching for him, rather than waking up and saying, "Oop, better follow this note that I might have written."

At least people can understand Alma, once they get enough of the story. I mean, it's even a stereotype, the woman who will do anything to defend her children, the mother wolf, the lioness. And, yeah, you have guns, you can fight, but you can't fight Alma. You can fight regular humans, you can fight Fettel even, but Alma is completely beyond anything you're able to stop. She's a force of nature.

PS, I wasn't planning on it being this long.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#15rwfan2cPosted 10/18/2013 6:23:34 PM(edited)
clowning posted...

Notice how i used "Uncomfortable" In my post.

As Adults, media should no longer scare you. However games and Movies can make you feel uncomfortable. To many of them Can not pull off the "Uncomfortable atmosphere" and Subtle Nuances that makes a Media Format truly disturbing and uncomfortable to experience and just resort to jump scares.... *Looks at the Paranormal Activity Franchise* "I got my eye on you...."

Amnesia Did a very admirable job at the disturbing and uncomfortable atmosphere, and was honestly one of the better attempts at a Horror game in years. The Story Killed that game for me though. Doesn't mean it wasn't a great attempt and if you enjoy it great.

Dead Space is Laughable to me. Yes it is "Startling" At times, But using that logic Mass Effect 3 is a Horror game as well. Since you can shoot back... and that Elevator in the Opening sequence with the Husk that jumps through. I jumped at that. It was "Startling" But in a non Horror game its more tolerable.

Dead Space is nothing more than a Sci Fi Shooter that gets very annoying due to all the desperate attempts to make the game "Scary".

But all that does not mean that Jumpscares have no place in horror... They do.. But only only when earned. "The Conjuring", Had one Jumpscare.... And good god Did James Wan Earn it. (Won't go into detail in case you have not watched it yet... If you haven't, go watch it.)
---
Currently Playing: Xcom: Enemy Unkown, SWTOR, Total War: Shogun II
"Demon's Run, When a Good Man Goes to War."
#16lionheart5656Posted 10/18/2013 7:31:18 PM
Train Simulator 2013.

The future of all games with DLC.

BE AFRAID.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#17SandOnMyBootPosted 10/21/2013 11:07:02 PM
rwfan2c posted...
As Adults, media should no longer scare you. However games and Movies can make you feel uncomfortable. To many of them Can not pull off the "Uncomfortable atmosphere" and Subtle Nuances that makes a Media Format truly disturbing and uncomfortable to experience and just resort to jump scares.... *Looks at the Paranormal Activity Franchise* "I got my eye on you...."

Paranormal Activity... Jump scares... You sure you got that right? I've only seen 1, 2, & 3 but out of those only the second really used jump scares. The first had practically none (maybe 1 at the very end). The third only had 3 if I remember right (and all 3 jump scares were fake-outs: mother playing joke, babysitter playing joke, etc) while the actual scares were all of the slower/atmospheric type.
---
Glad Superman 64 was the third best-selling Nintendo 64 title upon release and was a success. Supporting risk-takers and change is how the industry grows.
#18DaedalusExPosted 10/21/2013 11:17:59 PM
Resident Evil REmake. Lots of jump scares, but the atmosphere and music are creepy as hell.
#19somebody336Posted 10/21/2013 11:32:27 PM
Havent played horror games in quiet awhile but dat Silent Hill 2 <3
#20-GhosT-Posted 10/21/2013 11:49:46 PM(edited)
Play Dead Space on a harder difficulty if you have enough ammo to survive!

How are the uncannily agressive and fiendishly hungry enemies, the powerful soundtrack, the incredibly loud and nerve-racking sound effects, and the feeling of complete abandonment into the absolute infinite of space, not one of the most dangerous situation you could ever step into?

I'm finishing an Halloween Horror Marathon, and it's hard to rate this trilogy under a 9.5/10 in terms of novelty and ambience. The engine and the gunplay support the scariness of this game.

Impossible / Survival game modes are just a testament of horror. Start a playthrough on the hardest difficulty and enjoy the real SURVIVAL HORROR experience you have been dying for.
---
I'm A Man of Principles, Damn Near Invincible