This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

nVidia G-Sync

#31PraetorXynPosted 10/18/2013 4:19:18 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
I'm just hoping that the module will be compatible with panels other than TN :/

This...
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#32somebody336Posted 10/18/2013 4:53:07 PM
And as soon as I got a new monitor >.<
#33StarksPosted 10/18/2013 4:58:14 PM
If I can watch my animu at 23.987 Hz, then I support this fully
---
#otchat ~ https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/otchat
Mods/Gods 2013
#34ZeraphLordSPosted 10/18/2013 7:17:09 PM(edited)
Yay Carmack. WIth him being a large proponent of reduced input lag and strobed displays, I'm impressed.

SinisterSlay posted...
Wouldn't it still start tearing if your framerate went above the maximum for the monitor?

argh that's not what causes tearing

tearing still happens below the refresh rate

if a frame was completed every 16.67ms but the refresh interval was 16.67 (with a 8.33ms offset) you would have exactly 60fps but a huge ugly tear running constantly through the middle of the screen

vsync literally makes sure that it never displays unless they're lined up

think of it more like cinema projector how it flashes only when a clear frame will be displayed, and not when it's half way between frames on a reel, rather than an overflow issue

Starks posted...
If I can watch my animu at 23.987 Hz, then I support this fully

With the korean 1440p IPS/PLS overclockable monitors you can get 71.961hz (up to 120hz ish), without losing color uniformity to TN panels (and without their dithering, too), and retain black levels if you go PLS. The circular jinc scaler takes care of upscaling (and increases uniformity between encodes), and subs look great.

dat pulldown removal

Edit: dat moving text clarity yess
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86535361&postcount=58
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#35Asellus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 6:12:27 AM(edited)

That's in motion? Wow, holy crap.

Think of what that could do for texture clarity.
#36petran78Posted 10/19/2013 8:20:57 AM
but it wont work on 30 fps console ports and movies?
Game needs at least 60 fps?
---
Q.You want so see some other stuff? What Console? A.Console? Q.What platform? A.Uh, Moral Turpitude?
Q.PC it is, then.
#37DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/19/2013 8:32:48 AM(edited)
Asellus posted...

That's in motion? Wow, holy crap.

Think of what that could do for texture clarity.

That extra clarity in that image is NOT from gsync. Something else is at play there. Could be the camera focus, the different angles of the pendulum and the rendering techniques... All gsync does is get rid of tearing, which is visible in a photograph, lag, which can be perceived in person only, and stutter, which can only be experienced in person.

What it does do is allow you to read better because it moves in a more natural smooth motion rather than jerking around due to stutters and tears.

That image isn't at all indicative of gsync at play.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#38farigontiPosted 10/19/2013 8:44:24 AM
G-sync hitting dat g-spot, aw yeaa
---
FC= 3265-4867-8550
#39OrpheanBeholderPosted 10/19/2013 8:51:09 AM
This is the greatest innovation in gaming since CRTs were introduced.
---
ScryDoubt
#40SinisterSlayPosted 10/19/2013 10:36:59 AM
ZeraphLordS posted...
Yay Carmack. WIth him being a large proponent of reduced input lag and strobed displays, I'm impressed.

SinisterSlay posted...
Wouldn't it still start tearing if your framerate went above the maximum for the monitor?

argh that's not what causes tearing

tearing still happens below the refresh rate

if a frame was completed every 16.67ms but the refresh interval was 16.67 (with a 8.33ms offset) you would have exactly 60fps but a huge ugly tear running constantly through the middle of the screen

vsync literally makes sure that it never displays unless they're lined up

think of it more like cinema projector how it flashes only when a clear frame will be displayed, and not when it's half way between frames on a reel, rather than an overflow issue

Yes it is, you get tearing whenever your frame rate and your refresh rate differ.
G-sync can apparently reduce the refresh rate to match framerate. But I'm saying you will still get tearing if your framerate goes above the maximum refresh rate.

So if I play monster truck madness, I expect tearing since so far, there is no monitor with a refresh rate over 400. G-sync would have to be used with an FPS limiter in this case.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence