This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GTX 780Ti announced

#21BuburibonPosted 10/18/2013 11:02:16 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
Buburibon posted...
I'm afraid it's all fairly confusing, and does not inspire consumer confidence at all.

Nothing really confusing about it. I have a feeling nvidia is sitting on smoking guns all over the place and they are just playing the market to maximize profits. Anytime AMD calls, nvidia will answer. I mean 1 month notice? Clearly they were sitting on this.

I'm waiting for Maxwell to be released to pull the trigger on a new build. Before this announcement I could make educated guesses (even though they might have meant nothing) as to when that would happen based on a few things I've heard at IEEE conferences earlier this year. I understand that Nvidia is "sitting on smoking guns all over the place", and that makes complete sense, however as a consumer I am now unsure when to expect the 800 series to be released. In that sense, I'm confused.
---
3770K @ 4.5Ghz | 16GB | TITAN
Steam | PSN | XBL: GVAmson23
#22overkillwfo1978Posted 10/18/2013 12:50:48 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
overkillwfo1978 posted...
Requiem posted...
What a horrible decision.

This. There are enough cards on the market now. The problem is that high end cards have skyrocketed in price. We don't need MORE cards, we need lower prices on EXISTING cards. I'm hoping the 290X drops the price of the 780/Titan.

What do you think this is going to do? It's going to replace 780 as other Kepler cards drop in price.

Do we really need a card in between the power of the 780 and the Titan? There is minimal difference between the two as is. 780ti is not needed at all...
---
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten" -George Carlin
#23Snuckie7Posted 10/18/2013 2:30:23 PM
I'm guessing this card is going to be the full GK110 with all 2880 cores enabled. Hope Nvidia will allow non reference designs with unlocked voltage.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#24ShebeskiiPosted 10/18/2013 3:12:34 PM(edited)
Snuckie7 posted...
I'm guessing this card is going to be the full GK110 with all 2880 cores enabled. Hope Nvidia will allow non reference designs with unlocked voltage.

It could be the same hardware as the Titan with 3GB of VRAM, but with a significant core clock bump. It could also be the full GK110. It's really completely up in the air what Nvidia will do with the Ti variant.

Let's say they release the full GK110 with nice clocks. Can it even stand up to the R9 290X (based on the bench leaks)?

It seems like it might be very, very close.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#25ThescyyPosted 10/18/2013 3:50:06 PM(edited)
Shebeskii posted...
Snuckie7 posted...

It could be the same hardware as the Titan with 3GB of VRAM, but with a significant core clock bump. It could also be the full GK110. It's really completely up in the air what Nvidia will do with the Ti variant.

Let's say they release the full GK110 with nice clocks. Can it even stand up to the R9 290X (based on the bench leaks)?

It seems like it might be very, very close.

That makes the most sense to me, 3GB VRAM, disabled DP compute and either Titan shaders or a full GK110 and probably a bit of a clock boost at stock as there is plenty of headroom even at low volts compared to Titans stock clocks. Hopefully Samsung memory too as the Hynix in some 780's blow.
---
i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 | Fractal design R4
#26Xeeh_BitzPosted 10/18/2013 3:49:51 PM
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
If it's better than the Titan it's not going to be cheaper. Especially since Jensen said it's the "best ever built", meaning cost of production is probably higher than anything before it; you don't make a superior product at a cheaper cost unless something radically changed in your production process.

It only costs around $90 to produce a Titan.

The markups on cards are insane, but there are many other costs to consider but it's dirt cheap to manufacturer a card
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8!
#27ThescyyPosted 10/18/2013 3:53:31 PM(edited)
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
If it's better than the Titan it's not going to be cheaper. Especially since Jensen said it's the "best ever built", meaning cost of production is probably higher than anything before it; you don't make a superior product at a cheaper cost unless something radically changed in your production process.

The markups on cards are insane, but there are many other costs to consider but it's dirt cheap to manufacturer a card

A lot of that money goes towards paying off the huge amounts of R&D that goes into the designing of the card. So even if technically that's the price per die there is more to the cost in the big picture.
---
i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 | Fractal design R4
#28DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/18/2013 4:03:03 PM
Thescyy posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

A lot of that money goes towards paying off the huge amounts of R&D that goes into the designing of the card. So even if technically that's the price per die there is more to the cost in the big picture.

Which is exactly the point. If a price drop means better immediate sales/faster income, they can drop it right down. Producing a card faster than Titan would not mean it would need to be more expensive than Titan, especially if it's the same chip.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#29AsellusPosted 10/18/2013 4:08:22 PM
the 880gtx got delayed until june/july at the earliest..nvidia cant do much with the current 28nm and is waiting for 20nm

Given TSMC does the manufacturing for both nVidia and AMD's chips not really much anyone can do but twiddle their thumbs until they're ready for it.
#30ThescyyPosted 10/18/2013 4:30:35 PM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Thescyy posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

Which is exactly the point. If a price drop means better immediate sales/faster income, they can drop it right down. Producing a card faster than Titan would not mean it would need to be more expensive than Titan, especially if it's the same chip.

Yeah, I misinterpreted his post when I read it first on my phone.
---