This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think gaming gear makes you a better player?

#1HydroCannabinolPosted 10/18/2013 9:17:44 AM
Does gaming gear such as mechanical keyboards and gaming mice make you a better gamer? - Results (138 votes)
Yes, I love my Razor mouse and my mechanical keyboard along with my sick headset and audio card.
21.01% (29 votes)
Nope, I use a five dollar mouse, an old pair of speakers, and a rubber dome keyboard from the salvation army.
29.71% (41 votes)
I prefer gaming gear, but I can perform basically the same either way.
43.48% (60 votes)
I'm a console peasant, I don't know what a mechanical keyboard is.
5.8% (8 votes)
This poll is now closed.
For me I think I would pick perhaps the third option. I definitely prefer my gaming mouse and keyboard etc. but I think even with basic equipment a good gamer can do great things. On the otherhand, if you're a serious competitive gamer then good gear helps you push the limit of your potential.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#2DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/18/2013 9:19:34 AM
Not gaming branded gear but better quality gear yes. A good set of headphones will allow for much better enemy location than a terrible 20 dollar 2.1 system.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#3SinisterSlayPosted 10/18/2013 9:20:42 AM
I think it's just what your used to.

Like how I used to be one of those people that could completely spin the camera and still shoot my target without even seeing them, and do so with 90% accuracy.
And I was using an old ball mouse while everyone else had optical and laser mice.

I'm also still sporting my old 1997 Microsoft Natural keyboard.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4xanthan1Posted 10/18/2013 9:21:20 AM
No. A gaming and nongaming mouse of the same quality will do exactly the same. Being a gaming mouse makes 0 difference outside of fringe cases like one with a few extra buttons on the side, but that will only apply to some games where having them there is actually useful.
#5TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 10/18/2013 9:22:17 AM(edited)
Before coming in the topic, I thought you were going to mean "gamer" gear, as in cheap plastic crap that has ridiculous sci-fi designs all over.

However, I do think that high-end quality peripherals can enhance a gamer's performance. For example, good stereo headphones with virtual surround, a quality mic, a durable mouse with a few extra buttons and a flawless sensor, and a responsive keyboard can all help.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#6r0ge00Posted 10/18/2013 9:23:14 AM
This is a terrible poll, so I'm not voting. I buy things that are comfortable. Some are "gaming" branded, some aren't. Comfort + performance is key to doing well IMO.
#7TwinqePosted 10/18/2013 9:27:23 AM
My mechanical keyboard doesn't make me game any better, but it sure as heck feels better to type on when I am doing work. I play competitive FPS games, so a flawless sensor in a mouse is important to me. Plus, I like to use something that is comfortable unlike the mice I used to play with. The only peripheral (if you can call it that) that I think flat out can make you better (though it obviously does not make you amazing) is a 120+ hz monitor for an FPS. It helps you see things a lot more clearly and makes tracking significantly easier compared to 60hz monitors.
---
3DS FC: 4511-1880-0614
#8MasterDonGeroPosted 10/18/2013 9:27:50 AM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
Before coming in the topic, I thought you were going to mean "gamer" gear, as in cheap plastic crap that has ridiculous sci-fi designs all over.

However, I do think that high-end quality peripherals can enhance a gamer's performance. For example, good stereo headphones with virtual surround, a quality mic, a durable mouse with a few extra buttons and a flawless sensor, and a responsive keyboard can all help.

Why not headphones with true surround sound? :p
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#9HydroCannabinol(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 9:28:01 AM
r0ge00 posted...
This is a terrible poll, so I'm not voting. I buy things that are comfortable. Some are "gaming" branded, some aren't. Comfort + performance is key to doing well IMO.

'gaming' gear is a general term for highend gear like DV8ing said. That's why I said 'mechanical keyboard'. I use a Das pro which isn't marketed as a 'gaming keyboard' but I still consider it gaming gear.... even if blue switches are best for typing. (which I do a ton of in game)

Don't be a nitpicker.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#10Killah PriestPosted 10/18/2013 9:29:09 AM
absolutely no "gaming" gear and I do just fine.

I do have a garbage G400s but I use my MX anywhere instead, I also had a logitech gaming keyboard but I ditched that boat of a keyboard for a illuminated keyboard and even with ghosting I do just fine.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.