This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think gaming gear makes you a better player?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you think gaming gear makes you a better player?
2 years ago#1
Does gaming gear such as mechanical keyboards and gaming mice make you a better gamer? - Results (138 votes)
Yes, I love my Razor mouse and my mechanical keyboard along with my sick headset and audio card.
21.01% (29 votes)
Nope, I use a five dollar mouse, an old pair of speakers, and a rubber dome keyboard from the salvation army.
29.71% (41 votes)
I prefer gaming gear, but I can perform basically the same either way.
43.48% (60 votes)
I'm a console peasant, I don't know what a mechanical keyboard is.
5.8% (8 votes)
This poll is now closed.
For me I think I would pick perhaps the third option. I definitely prefer my gaming mouse and keyboard etc. but I think even with basic equipment a good gamer can do great things. On the otherhand, if you're a serious competitive gamer then good gear helps you push the limit of your potential.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
2 years ago#2
Not gaming branded gear but better quality gear yes. A good set of headphones will allow for much better enemy location than a terrible 20 dollar 2.1 system.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
2 years ago#3
I think it's just what your used to.

Like how I used to be one of those people that could completely spin the camera and still shoot my target without even seeing them, and do so with 90% accuracy.
And I was using an old ball mouse while everyone else had optical and laser mice.

I'm also still sporting my old 1997 Microsoft Natural keyboard.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
2 years ago#4
No. A gaming and nongaming mouse of the same quality will do exactly the same. Being a gaming mouse makes 0 difference outside of fringe cases like one with a few extra buttons on the side, but that will only apply to some games where having them there is actually useful.
2 years ago#5
Before coming in the topic, I thought you were going to mean "gamer" gear, as in cheap plastic crap that has ridiculous sci-fi designs all over.

However, I do think that high-end quality peripherals can enhance a gamer's performance. For example, good stereo headphones with virtual surround, a quality mic, a durable mouse with a few extra buttons and a flawless sensor, and a responsive keyboard can all help.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
2 years ago#6
This is a terrible poll, so I'm not voting. I buy things that are comfortable. Some are "gaming" branded, some aren't. Comfort + performance is key to doing well IMO.
2 years ago#7
My mechanical keyboard doesn't make me game any better, but it sure as heck feels better to type on when I am doing work. I play competitive FPS games, so a flawless sensor in a mouse is important to me. Plus, I like to use something that is comfortable unlike the mice I used to play with. The only peripheral (if you can call it that) that I think flat out can make you better (though it obviously does not make you amazing) is a 120+ hz monitor for an FPS. It helps you see things a lot more clearly and makes tracking significantly easier compared to 60hz monitors.
---
3DS FC: 4511-1880-0614
2 years ago#8
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
Before coming in the topic, I thought you were going to mean "gamer" gear, as in cheap plastic crap that has ridiculous sci-fi designs all over.

However, I do think that high-end quality peripherals can enhance a gamer's performance. For example, good stereo headphones with virtual surround, a quality mic, a durable mouse with a few extra buttons and a flawless sensor, and a responsive keyboard can all help.

Why not headphones with true surround sound? :p
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
2 years ago#9
r0ge00 posted...
This is a terrible poll, so I'm not voting. I buy things that are comfortable. Some are "gaming" branded, some aren't. Comfort + performance is key to doing well IMO.

'gaming' gear is a general term for highend gear like DV8ing said. That's why I said 'mechanical keyboard'. I use a Das pro which isn't marketed as a 'gaming keyboard' but I still consider it gaming gear.... even if blue switches are best for typing. (which I do a ton of in game)

Don't be a nitpicker.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
2 years ago#10
absolutely no "gaming" gear and I do just fine.

I do have a garbage G400s but I use my MX anywhere instead, I also had a logitech gaming keyboard but I ditched that boat of a keyboard for a illuminated keyboard and even with ghosting I do just fine.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you think gaming gear makes you a better player?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived