This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think gaming gear makes you a better player?

#31Silent Sniper IVPosted 10/18/2013 1:20:24 PM
CatToy posted...
Silent Sniper IV posted...
I'm pretty sure dpi switch is his "sniper button". I toggle between three dpi settings and can't even imagine not having that feature anymore. Super high for when I'm doing shotgunning or smgs, standard for assault rifles, and low for precision sniping.

A sniper button isn't quite the same as a dpi switch. The sniper button reduces DPI by whatever amount while it's held in, usually it's a thumb button that can easily be depressed.

Huh, didn't know that. I always used to bind the zoom-in key to an autohotkey script that changed dpi. Awesome on games where ADS is a thing, I guess it's like that minus the zoom?
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#32CatToyPosted 10/18/2013 1:23:20 PM
Yeah, no zoom. It was more handy before many shooters started having separate sensitivity while aiming too. But it's still useful for any situation when you need only a seconds worth of precision.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#33Kokuei05Posted 10/18/2013 1:27:32 PM
Not necessarily gaming gear but if you're using a **** mouse; it'll hinder you a lot. Although buying things thinking it'll make you better is the wrong idea. You need to know how to move your arm and etc that gives you the best accuracy.

For example; if you use a low sensitivity, learn to move your arm from your hand to your elbow instead of just using your wrist and lifting the mouse every 5 inches.

I'm currently using a **** mouse, the sidewinder x3.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hho9gQccPCI
#34ThePCElitistPosted 10/18/2013 1:38:48 PM
No you don't magically get better just because you bought a mechanical keyboard and a $200 gaming mouse. You simply purchased better accessories that are more responsive than $15 Logitech stuff you find at your local Walmart store. Does that extra responsiveness improve your performance? Sure, as long as you are actually able to use them effectively and improve your own personal skill level by playing a lot. But someone with the aforementioned Logitech gear could be just as good as you given their skill as a player in the games you are playing.
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#35Sergei_DukanovPosted 10/18/2013 2:12:38 PM
there should be an option for wanting to spend tons of money on pointless crap when a crontroller can be used quite efficiently with most games now.
---
FX8350 oc'ed 4.6ghz ASRock 990fx Extreme9 8 igs ddr3 MSI R9 280x antec 750W NZXT Phantom Full Tower http://imgur.com/DKxtZXP http://imgur.com/I9vdXTk
#36NicoC96Posted 10/18/2013 3:06:02 PM
I don't NEED "gaming gear," but it just so happens that lots of good keyboards and mice are marketed as such. I could care less about the keyboard, as long as it's high quality. Mice, on the other hand, I prefer to be in the gaming style because of all the features that tend to get added on with the name. Multiple DPI? Nice, big side buttons? Easy please!
#37kjellboyPosted 10/18/2013 4:50:18 PM
"Does gaming gear such as mechanical keyboards and gaming mice make you a better gamer?"

To a certain degree, probably. But, I must say that if you know the brand and model good, the performance will be the same. Mechanical or no.

In Borderlands, as an example, I perform better with a gamepad then with kb/m. However, in games like CoD and BF, I perform better with KB/M rather than gamepad.

Though it all comes down to what you prefer to use in certain games, and how good you can perform with that specific gamepad or kb/m.

And gaming gear in general is just another way to sell the products. Right now I am using a cheap keyboard, and I perform just as well with that as I did with the gaming branded Logitech keyboard, G11. I believe that was the correct keyboard. The only thing I miss, is the G keys. Though I rarely used those, so I have no need for that.
---
| Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V Pro | CPU: Intel i5 2500k | GPU: Asus DirectCU II OC GTX 680 | RAM: 8 GB | I know that the motherboard is a bottleneck.
#38MC RaZaRPosted 10/18/2013 5:42:17 PM
Anything of good quality and comfortable to use for you makes you a better player regardless of whether its branded gaming or not.
---
Oh, I don't want to walk that far. Anything that takes more than 12 steps isn't worth doing! Eh? 12? Get it? Steps! Hehehe.- Homer J. Simpson
#39GeminiX7Posted 10/18/2013 6:04:39 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
Not gaming branded gear but better quality gear yes. A good set of headphones will allow for much better enemy location than a terrible 20 dollar 2.1 system.

This. I don't think you have to have a Razr mouse or Turtle Beach headset to get a better experience or play better, but higher quality equipment is going to affect things. I live in a noisy environment so my noise cancelling headphones/headset come in handy. Likewise, higher quality mice tend to have extra mappable buttons on them, and those can be invaluable in many titles.
---
3DS FC: 0662-3353-4779
PSN: GeminiX7
#40JonWood007Posted 10/18/2013 6:08:21 PM
Yes.

Keyboard, I don't think makes any difference, but you NEED a good mouse. Especially in FPS. I tried those $5 mice. They're normally not precise, making you a much less effective player where precision is needed, and they tend to have no durability as well.

I don't think there's a major difference between $20 and $200 equipment though. Just as long as you get above entry level crap.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768