This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Look what you Origin supporters did!!

#81DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/19/2013 10:48:50 AM
Orestes417 posted...
You don't need a downloadable client period.

You do if you want automatic updates for your games. Sure larger companies have the ability to create their own update services and maintain their own servers for distribution but smaller companies likely won't. Having a simplified STANDARD system in place for your games forums, patching needs, news, and purchase is much preferred to the wild wild west pc gaming was beforehand.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#82r7gerrabbitPosted 10/19/2013 11:03:07 AM
More clients are a good thing. It means they're starting to see PC as a legit money maker and drive mor One company running everything is BAD.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Mqy7G.gif
#83Orestes417Posted 10/19/2013 11:17:34 AM(edited)
DV8ingSources posted...
Orestes417 posted...
You don't need a downloadable client period.

You do if you want automatic updates for your games. Sure larger companies have the ability to create their own update services and maintain their own servers for distribution but smaller companies likely won't. Having a simplified STANDARD system in place for your games forums, patching needs, news, and purchase is much preferred to the wild wild west pc gaming was beforehand.

Patching could just as easily be handled at the game launcher level by any company that isn't going to half ass patches in the first place, purchasing is frequently better done elsewhere, and forums/news were always better handled by third party sites. The only useful parts of steam that aren't handled elsewhere are the backup and restore functionality

Let's also not forget that one of the ongoing criticisms of steam when it appeared was the incredible annoyance of forced updates for single player games

---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#84DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/19/2013 11:23:00 AM(edited)
^Disagree completely. Having a centralized location for all those services allows for standardization and at a developer level that means a lot less headaches with the extraneous aspects of a game. Having to design and upkeep your own forums, maintain your own patching servers or paying someone else temporarily is not ideal for any smaller developer. You can't pay for a server for the rest of your life and if you shut them down, that data is more or less gone. AFAIK, developers don't continuously pay for steams services. They pay a fairly large cut through the sale of their games and thats it. They don't pay to upload new patches, they don't need to worry about paying a server fee 5 years from now and they don't need to worry about their forums.

As I said, the larger companies could do just fine but not the small indie developers. They'd likely support their game for a few months, maybe a couple years, then it would for all intents and purposes disappear. No forums, no patches, possible no more purchasing, just gone. Steam provides an avenue to have an incredibly large library of games maintained and available for years to come.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#85Orestes417Posted 10/19/2013 11:29:12 AM
I'm not a developer, nor do I give a **** about the headaches they deal with in doing business. It's their issue, not mine. Virtually all of what steam does is redundant to what could be handled without a client at all. Even if the overarching service was providing the infrastructure, it could just as easily be handled with a web site for the most part.
---
#86xanthan1Posted 10/19/2013 11:32:18 AM
Orestes417 posted...
I'm not a developer, nor do I give a **** about the headaches they deal with in doing business. It's their issue, not mine. Virtually all of what steam does is redundant to what could be handled without a client at all. Even if the overarching service was providing the infrastructure, it could just as easily be handled with a web site for the most part.

Right, you pretty much just said you are the exact WRONG person to listen to about any of this.
#87Orestes417Posted 10/19/2013 11:33:41 AM
Do elucidate.
---
#88KidInTheHallPosted 10/19/2013 11:33:51 AM
xanthan1 posted...
Orestes417 posted...

Right, you pretty much just said you are the exact WRONG person to listen to about any of this.

Pretty much.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#89xanthan1Posted 10/19/2013 11:36:01 AM
Orestes417 posted...
Do elucidate.

You have no idea what you're talking about and you have admitted that you do not give a crap about what developers need to deal with to keep a service doing the things Steam does themselves and have 0 understanding of the logistics of it.

Now stop talking, you don't know ****.
#90Orestes417Posted 10/19/2013 11:40:14 AM
xanthan1 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Do elucidate.

You have no idea what you're talking about and you have admitted that you do not give a crap about what developers need to deal with to keep a service doing the things Steam does themselves and have 0 understanding of the logistics of it.

Now stop talking, you don't know ****.

I understand the logistics just fine, I simply don't give a damn. Nor should you. You're a CUSTOMER paying for a SERVICE, not a business partner or investor. Their costs of operation should be further down the list of priorities to care about than what Taylor Swift had for lunch.

There is absolutely NOTHING that steam does that couldn't be done without a user visible desktop client. How do I know? It's been done many times before and it's still being done to this day.
---