This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Look what you Origin supporters did!!

#91DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/19/2013 12:51:27 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
xanthan1 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Do elucidate.

You have no idea what you're talking about and you have admitted that you do not give a crap about what developers need to deal with to keep a service doing the things Steam does themselves and have 0 understanding of the logistics of it.

Now stop talking, you don't know ****.

I understand the logistics just fine, I simply don't give a damn. Nor should you. You're a CUSTOMER paying for a SERVICE, not a business partner or investor. Their costs of operation should be further down the list of priorities to care about than what Taylor Swift had for lunch.

There is absolutely NOTHING that steam does that couldn't be done without a user visible desktop client. How do I know? It's been done many times before and it's still being done to this day.

You're missing the point. The fact that steam makes things easier for developers means we see more upstarts and longer support. That is the benefit for us consumers. Go to the forums of any game you played in the 90s that wasn't by one of the giants... oh wait they're gone? You can't buy the games now? Too bad.

Now sure places like GOG exist and they do a lot to help to avoid scenarios like the above but ultimately moving forward, companies that exist today use the service that benefits them the most just like us consumers use the service that benefits us the most. In many cases, both those services are the one and only steam.

We already lived through a time where every game had its own support structure which varied from good to nonexistent. That was a horrible time to be a pc gamer. Structure and standardization is a good thing and only a fool would disagree.

Would I prefer it if steam were just a full on service and not a storefront as well? Yes but a service like that has some significant costs involved and its understandable that we have the situation we are in now.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#92Orestes417Posted 10/19/2013 12:51:12 PM
You're missing the point. All of it could've been accomplished without the use of desktop clients. If you're going to whine about one, you're going to whine about ALL of them or you're going to get called on nonsensical hypocrisy.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#93DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/19/2013 12:54:35 PM
Orestes417 posted...
You're missing the point. All of it could've been accomplished without the use of desktop clients. If you're going to whine about one, you're going to whine about ALL of them or you're going to get called on nonsensical hypocrisy.

The only issue I have with Origin and Uplay or any other client is that they weren't first. I don't care WHO runs the singular service, just that it runs and works as intended.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#94Worknofun370Posted 10/21/2013 9:42:20 AM
xanthan1 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Do elucidate.

You have no idea what you're talking about and you have admitted that you do not give a crap about what developers need to deal with to keep a service doing the things Steam does themselves and have 0 understanding of the logistics of it.

Now stop talking, you don't know ****.

I literally loled at this.
#95ImMrMojoRisinPosted 10/21/2013 10:05:01 AM
Boge posted...
You're missing the point! Now all of the publishers will follow!! Sega, Eidos, Square/Enix. It doesn't matter who it is, they'll all follow! Soon we'll be required to have like 20 game clients on our systems!!

I hate you all for doing this to me!!

coughconsolegamesdonthavethis****cough
#96ShadowThaReaperPosted 10/21/2013 10:13:20 AM
ImMrMojoRisin posted...

Console games are worse. They're anchored to specific hardware you have to buy. You also have to pay to play online.
#97ImMrMojoRisinPosted 10/21/2013 10:22:59 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
ImMrMojoRisin posted...

Console games are worse. They're anchored to specific hardware you have to buy. You also have to pay to play online.

Anchored to specific hardware? How much is a good gaming PC? And pay to play online? PS3 owners don't pay a dime to play online.

And while that is probably changing with this new console gen, don't think major PC games are going to be immune to having to pay to play online. PC usually follows trends that the consoles set.
#98ShadowThaReaperPosted 10/21/2013 10:27:26 AM
ImMrMojoRisin posted...
How much is a good gaming PC?

Not very much.

ImMrMojoRisin posted...
And pay to play online? PS3 owners don't pay a dime to play online.

PS3 isn't relevant anymore. PS4 has mandatory PS+ for online multiplayer. The only console that doesn't have online sub fee is the Wii U.

don't think major PC games are going to be immune to having to pay to play online. PC usually follows trends that the consoles set.

Umm...no? Only certain MMOs do that. Developers don't charge for online on consoles. Microsoft and Sony do. There's no trend to follow.
#99RemyLebeau_88Posted 10/21/2013 10:33:55 AM
Boge posted...
Uplay, now this Blizzard Battle.net client. I told you so! I told you they'd all follow!!

Now how am I supposed to play games without these damn clients!?

Both of those clients launched before Origin, so how is Origin to blame? Also, why is everyone bothered by clients used as DRM that aren't Steam? It's not like you need every single one running at the same time to make them any sort of annoyance.

---
http://www.ddgamer.com/76561198001005811/camo_sig2.png http://i.imgur.com/K69QYwN.gif
[i5 2500] [8GB DDR3] [GTX 560 Ti] [Corsair 650TX] [Win 7 x64] [1920x1080]
#100xanthan1Posted 10/21/2013 2:01:17 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...

No, whining that they keep trying to do what Steam already does, and do it consistently worse, is not the same thing. You have once again shown you don't get the issue. Steam works great, the other clients are just worse in one way or another that makes needing them to run games from one company, because there is no way you would get them there instead of Steam, is idiotic.

Shut up till you know anything, or better yet, just shut up.

ImMrMojoRisin posted...
ShadowThaReaper posted...
ImMrMojoRisin posted...

Anchored to specific hardware? How much is a good gaming PC? And pay to play online? PS3 owners don't pay a dime to play online.

And while that is probably changing with this new console gen, don't think major PC games are going to be immune to having to pay to play online. PC usually follows trends that the consoles set.

So you use a last gen console when the newer one DOES charge for online, which is stupid, then make a really stupid claim about online fees for PCs when Microsoft already TRIED to do that and failed horribly.

You have 0 idea what you're trying to talk about, go educate yourself or shut up.