This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games Not Loading Faster On RAMDisk?

#11Madmicky933(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 2:49:54 PM
I tried just installing GTA San Andreas to the RAMDisk after uninstalling it from my harddrive and still the same results.

I don't get this.
Maybe it is just the game itself? But I don't know. I've tried others as well.

Does the format of the RAMDisk matter? I have it in NTFS.

But I tried HD Tune Pro and did a read test of the RAMDisk and it was lighting fast. Instant.

Something just isn't adding up here with the games.
---
Karma... Is a powerful force..
#12Davel23Posted 10/18/2013 2:56:35 PM
How much RAM do you have, and how big is your RAMdisk?
---
Your mom's box.
#13Lonestar2000Posted 10/18/2013 2:58:11 PM
Try it with newer games.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#14Madmicky933(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 2:58:13 PM
Davel23 posted...
How much RAM do you have, and how big is your RAMdisk?

I have 16GBs of DDR3 RAM and I have the RAMDisk set to 7GBs.

And I'm using DataRAM RAMDisk as the software that made the RAMDisk.
---
#15WyzeGyePosted 10/18/2013 4:21:42 PM
San Andreas should load near instantly with RAMdisk. I know that to be true. So somethings up on your end of things.
---
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
#16wizardmonPosted 10/18/2013 4:43:28 PM
Salt: I've never used the program you are using, so this post could be entirely irrelevant.

I know that some RAMDisk software like ImDisk can save the RAMdisk file to the hard drive - and when you mount with default options it doesn't "mount" the file fully to ram, and instead loads from the hard disk. I found that creating a new ramdisk and copying the files onto it (backup data before using steammover or whatever your using to put the files onto the volatile ramdisk!) each and every time I wanted to use the ramdisk.

I've never used the program that you are using, but be sure that it's actually fully mounting the ramdisk to ram.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#17UberLurkerPosted 10/18/2013 5:10:55 PM
I can say with utmost certainty that Minecraft benefits from a RAM disk. Chunks load insanely fast as opposed to what you see from a conventional disk install, especially if you use modded view distances.
#18TimDDPosted 10/18/2013 9:54:57 PM
If you're using your ramdisk for gaming, I would suggest using the http://Dimmdrive.com software as it literally is a ramdisk meant for gaming. It syncs data between your ramdisk and your hard drive in real time (eg, game saves, config changes, game updates), has direct integration with steam, and is awesome.
#19Cool_Dude667Posted 10/18/2013 9:56:52 PM
TimDD posted...
If you're using your ramdisk for gaming, I would suggest using the http://Dimmdrive.com software as it literally is a ramdisk meant for gaming. It syncs data between your ramdisk and your hard drive in real time (eg, game saves, config changes, game updates), has direct integration with steam, and is awesome.

dat plug
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#20Madmicky933(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 10:46:14 PM
What software do you use? Any of you. As long as it actually works.
---