This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good multiplayer FPS for an older laptop?

#1Pow Pow PunishmentPosted 10/18/2013 3:39:27 PM
I'm getting into PC gaming with my IBM Thinkpad and a quality multiplayer shooter is something I feel I'm missing. I can run games at full graphics to about the 2005 era (notable exception being when I tried Doom 3). I've played Quake and the Unreal games to death so not those, please.

What I've considered:

> Team Fortress 2 (I only have 6 gb of space, though)

> Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

> Halo

Any recommendations?
---
Training log: http://Machinhate.blogspot.com
Currently playing: Deus Ex, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst
#2YoungAdultLinkPosted 10/18/2013 3:45:42 PM
I dunno if it has a population, but Monolith put out the multiplayer component of FEAR as a free download a while back.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#3Pow Pow Punishment(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 3:54:51 PM
That might be a bit too recent. I have the s***ty PS3 port and even there the graphics are well beyond my computer's abilities.

I'm wary about running things with too many concessions in the graphical settings. I was able to get Doom 3 to run at around 30 fps but it looked horrible, like the characters were molded out of mud and had no textures. I'd rather just play something older.
---
#4LordSeiferPosted 10/18/2013 3:58:39 PM(edited)
Call of duty 4

if that doesnt run, call of duty 2

I dont know if anyone still plays battlefield 1942

something something deadlifts
---
^ this
#5Pow Pow Punishment(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 5:02:24 PM
CoD4 definitely would not run, pretty sure CoD2 wouldn't, either.

To specify further, I have 1 GB of RAM recently upgraded from half that and the most graphically advanced games I currently run are Dawn of War (2004) and Psychonauts (2005 I believe).
---
#6TheWayOfTheGunPosted 10/18/2013 5:54:54 PM
Hands down, without question,

Left4Dead 2.
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#7este914Posted 10/18/2013 5:58:57 PM
check out this FREE online game called "Urban Terror"
active and very fun, low PC requirements too. Its great.
---
...::: este914 :::...
The One & Only!
#8JonWood007Posted 10/18/2013 6:04:51 PM
I tried FEAR combat a couple weeks ago to see if anyone was still on, it's a ghost town, so skip that. Kinda sad too. I mean, it's not the best game at this point in time, but for there to be no one is kinda sad.

While that game is hard to max, FEAR scales down good graphically, to the point of it literally looking like doom with pixel doubling and all.

At 6 GB of space, you don't have a lot of options. I'd recommend uninstalling some other crap to get games to work. Try TF2. If that runs, you can run any source game, which should give you a few options to choose from. If you can run that, running COD4 is also doable, which is active and good.

It would be more helpful if you could give me your specs though, for a better idea. When you say 2005, full graphics, I'm assuming you're maxing it. However, since there's a MASSIVE difference between maxing games and running them on the bare minimum, and massive differences in the requirements to do both, that doesn't tell us a whole lot. I mean, I could run most 2005 games on a freaking intel gma 4500. They ran horribly and looked horribly, but they still ran. However, if you can MAX those games, or come closer to it, a lot of newer games will be at your disposal.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#9GeminiX7Posted 10/18/2013 6:11:21 PM
Counter Strike Source should work for you. I know your plight, friend, as for the longest time my laptops were crap, so gaming on it required playing the ole "Run or Crash".

I think some F2P older titles like WolfTeam could work too.

But yeah, if I had to say one title I know would work, it'd probably be CS:Source as well many of its mods/full conversions.
---
3DS FC: 0662-3353-4779
PSN: GeminiX7
#10GeminiX7Posted 10/18/2013 6:14:28 PM
Oh, and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territories is still VERY VERY active. It's ten years old but still thousands and thousands of players, ridiculous numbers of maps and mods, and still gets support from the devs. And I'm pretty sure there are calculators out that can run it at max settings.
---
3DS FC: 0662-3353-4779
PSN: GeminiX7