The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To the experts: which is best to buy an iPad or Surface Pro 2 or...suggest pls!

#1bloodlover4everPosted 10/19/2013 7:40:00 AM
I have a MacBook Pro laptop from work, use it mainly for work. I also have an iPhone but I do not have any personal laptop or PC and now I want to buy something durable and will stay with me for at least two years.

I am looking for a tablet so I can take it with me everywhere yet I want it to function as a laptop hence my interest in the hybrids laptop was high.

I was going to get Surface Pro 2, seems the best so far...right? But once I compare it with iPad, it seems the latter has some advantages mainly when it comes to its resolution and display!! In addition a High-End Surface Pro 2 With Power Cover and Dock will cost $2,197, 512GB without accessories cost $1,799. Crazy!

So what do you guys think. I will use it for my personal use and I will play games on it so I am not sure if gaming is better on Surface Pro 2 or an iPad? I also have the iPhone and I always felt the iPad is just another bigger version of an iPhone?

Your suggestions are highly appreciated.
#2reincarnator07Posted 10/19/2013 7:52:04 AM
They're 2 different products to be honest. The Surface Pro 2 is basically an ultrabook. Do you want an ultrabook or a tablet?
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#3d209999Posted 10/19/2013 7:56:45 AM
reincarnator07 posted...
They're 2 different products to be honest. The Surface Pro 2 is basically an ultrabook. Do you want an ultrabook or a tablet?

This. You're comparing a tablet to a laptop.
---
*under construction*
#4bloodlover4ever(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 8:00:20 AM
d209999 posted...
reincarnator07 posted...

Good, an ultra book then. What about games and power, can I play high end games on both, processor power and so on..
#5Ikari GendoPosted 10/19/2013 8:03:09 AM
bloodlover4ever posted...
d209999 posted...
reincarnator07 posted...

Good, an ultra book then. What about games and power, can I play high end games on both, processor power and so on..

High end games on neither
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#6bloodlover4ever(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 3:45:19 PM
Well then what do you recommend, gaming won't be the main reason but it would be great to have an ultra book light or hybrid laptop that can give me both worlds: business and gaming. For gaming I mainly think about joining Steam network.
#7Treason686Posted 10/19/2013 3:58:46 PM
...What do you actually want to do? You're writing a lot and giving very little.

Both can do gaming, but it depends on what kind of gaming you're interested in. iOS has some exclusive titles not available on other platforms. You said personal use, then you said business. "Steam Network" means nothing. Steam is just a marketplace to purchase games.

A 512GB Surface vs an iPad isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison, either.

Specifically, what do you need this device to do for you?
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#8ShubPosted 10/19/2013 4:09:24 PM
Have you considered the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro? It's a convertible laptop. It's heavier and bigger than a Surface Pro but it has a better screen and a real keyboard.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#9SUPER3METROIDXPosted 10/19/2013 5:17:03 PM
If price wasn't an issue I'd just go for the surface pro, it's a full fledged computer and won't be limited like the ipad will. In terms of gaming the surface pro wins no contest. iPad has stuff like angry birds and ports of console games from 20 years ago while the surface pro, while not a powerhouse by any means, can actually play some modern stuff. It can play stuff like borderlands 2, diablo 3, tomb raider, etc.

They're really 2 completely different devices and aside from the touchscreen and size, there isn't much else in common.
#10CatToyPosted 10/19/2013 6:22:12 PM
Surface Pro has an HD4000, good enough to play many modern games on low, and older games with no trouble.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.