This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should computer source be protected by intellectual property laws?

#1darkstar4221Posted 10/19/2013 11:14:41 AM(edited)
Let's face it the average user has no idea what to do with computer source code or even know what it is.

From what I can tell it creates lots of problems for developers particularly when it comes to porting software. There would be a lot more interoperability with windows and other operating systems if windows was more open.

I understand there is a need for copyright to prevent piracy, but even those needs laws need to be gutted. No software deserves a lifetime + 75 years of copyright protection.
#2WyzeGyePosted 10/19/2013 11:15:26 AM
data/information should be free for all to use and alter.
---
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
#3darkstar4221(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 11:26:24 AM(edited)
WyzeGye posted...
---

That's the way software should be. Just imagine if windows was open source or if the windows source code wasn't protected by ip laws, there goes Microsoft's monopoly. It would be much easier to port windows software to other operating systems like linux, bsd, etc.
#4luigi13579Posted 10/19/2013 12:07:26 PM(edited)
I'd say that there should probably be *some* protection, but maybe not as much as there is at the moment, or the same type of protection.

I think I agree with Google's stance (or the stance of someone high up at Google, exactly whose I can't remember): that there's too much focus on ideas and not enough on the actual work needed to bring those ideas to fruition. People and companies can sit on ideas and not necessarily do anything with them, which is bad for everyone but them. Code would constitute the work in this instance I suppose.
#5LordSeiferPosted 10/19/2013 11:37:25 AM
darkstar4221 posted...
WyzeGye posted...
---

That's the way software should be. Just imagine if windows was open source or if the windows source code wasn't protected by ip laws, there goes Microsoft's monopoly. It would be much easier to port windows software to other operating systems like linux, bsd, etc.

also they should have stopped making products after win98 maybe
---
^ this
#6WyzeGyePosted 10/19/2013 11:53:07 AM
LordSeifer posted...
darkstar4221 posted...
WyzeGye posted...
---

also they should have stopped making products after win98 maybe

what does that have to do with anything?
---
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
#7prozac786Posted 10/19/2013 12:04:14 PM
I think it should be up to the developer/creator. If they want to release the code and make something open source then that's great.

But if they want to protect the source code they should be able to, it's their right. I mean if I spent my time and energy to invent something original, whether that be software or hardware, I wouldn't want just anyone to be able to copy my efforts and hardwork and distribute it how they see fit.

I would rather protect it and sell the product/rights or license it out. When you create something it isn't just information anymore.

If other devs really want interoperability with something that they do not own, they should be willing to pay for it/license it (if it's not free). After all these same devs will sell/make money from whatever they create from that 'interoperability' so how is that any different from the original creator's choice to not make his source free?

Plus it would crash businesses and the economy if there was no form of protection on intellectual property, because it would allow 'scalpers' to simply sit on their asses and wait for a genius to invent something, then copy it and undercut them to sell it

So yes I am very glad that we are able to protect the hardware or software that we ourselves create and invent.
---
PSN Prozac786
#8Bazooka_PenguinPosted 10/19/2013 12:22:29 PM
WyzeGye posted...
---

Uh huh

And we should work for the benefit of others rather than money, and we should make sure everyone is provided for up to an average standard of living, and we should let altruism rule our societies and economies.

It's pure fantasy.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#9TheWayOfTheGunPosted 10/19/2013 12:41:26 PM(edited)
WyzeGye posted...
---

Everything can't be open source because for one thing, it is a HUGE security risk. I can understand the Richard Stallman ideology though.
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#10JonWood007Posted 10/19/2013 12:36:48 PM
darkstar4221 posted...
WyzeGye posted...
---

Yeah, as it is, IP laws, which were originally created to spur innovation and creativity, stagnate such things in the digital age.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768