This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should computer source be protected by intellectual property laws?

#21clowningPosted 10/19/2013 1:34:41 PM
As much as some people hate MS, the standardizing of PC software has enabled people and businesses especially to operate much more cheaply by setting universal standards and formats. MS is not perfect, their products aren't perfect, but it's better to have standards we can work with, than to have a huge diversity of OS platforms, that may or may not work all that well together.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#22darkstar4221(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 12:24:30 PM(edited)
clowning posted...
As much as some people hate MS, the standardizing of PC software has enabled people and businesses especially to operate much more cheaply by setting universal standards and formats. MS is not perfect, their products aren't perfect, but it's better to have standards we can work with, than to have a huge diversity of OS platforms, that may or may not work all that well together.

The Microsoft standard is to make windows incompatible with every os in the world. Since windows is closed source as well as their source code being protected by ip laws, MS can do this. Given the market-share of windows and that Microsoft is the only dominant firm in the PC desktop market, they are technically a monopoly.

If at least source code wasn't protected by ip laws, DirectX would be cross platform right now.
#23wizardmonPosted 10/24/2013 12:35:22 PM
darkstar4221 posted...
they are technically a monopoly.

No, they technically aren't.
Yes I know I shouldn't reply to you but you should really look up what a monopoly is.

Most things on Windows can be ran on other systems providing you have the know-how to go about running though the Linux hoops or are willing to write your own code to support it.
Lots of games that can be run on Windows can be run on Linux & Mac.
Lots of applications that can be run on Windows can be run on Linux & Mac.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)