This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When is the best time to buy a new CPU, and which one?

#11XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 9:51:40 PM
Ah I see! THank you guys! I'll get an Intel CPU for sure. But is it false, that AMD CPUs will better for ported next gen console games because the games will be optimized for AMD CPUs?

And, that i7, is that the best CPU right now, like they wont be releasing a super better one within the next several months?
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
"When you play the games of thrones, you win or you die. Theres no middle ground" - Cersei Lannister to Eddard Stark
#12Last Grand MageX2Posted 10/19/2013 10:06:44 PM
XxTwisted26xX posted...
Ah I see! THank you guys! I'll get an Intel CPU for sure. But is it false, that AMD CPUs will better for ported next gen console games because the games will be optimized for AMD CPUs?

And, that i7, is that the best CPU right now, like they wont be releasing a super better one within the next several months?

To get a better processor than that, you'd need to upgrade your motherboard. Intel CPUs will be superior for gaming until AMD gets their **** together and releases a CPU with comparable per-core performance. Right now Intel CPUs are so much better that there really isn't anything that optimization can do.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#13SnadadosPosted 10/19/2013 11:23:00 PM
It is unknown if AMD CPUs will be better for future games but as it stands right now it doesn't seem like they will be better than Intel CPUs for a while.

The i7 3770 is not part of Intel's newest generation of CPUs, however the difference in performance between the 3770k and the newer 4770k is not that large, about 10 - 15%.

If you were to go with the newer 4770k you would also need a new motherboard as the 4770k does not fit into your current motherboard.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#14-GhosT-Posted 10/20/2013 12:15:46 AM
Hyperthreading.

BUMP
---
I'm A Man of Principles, Damn Near Invincible
#15Flaktrooper123Posted 10/20/2013 12:56:19 AM
Yeah, that's the thing. Your motherboard is going to be a bottleneck if you are looking to upgrade it further. If you want a 4670k/4770k, you need a socket LGA 1150 motherboard, preferably Z87 since you want a K processor with it. But before that, check if your CPU really bottlenecks you.
#16XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 1:18:22 AM
Flaktrooper123 posted...
Yeah, that's the thing. Your motherboard is going to be a bottleneck if you are looking to upgrade it further. If you want a 4670k/4770k, you need a socket LGA 1150 motherboard, preferably Z87 since you want a K processor with it. But before that, check if your CPU really bottlenecks you.

If I get that i7, will I be set for next gen gaming, while using my current mobo?
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
"When you play the games of thrones, you win or you die. Theres no middle ground" - Cersei Lannister to Eddard Stark
#17C810Posted 10/20/2013 2:03:15 AM
Snadados posted...
It is unknown if AMD CPUs will be better for future games but as it stands right now it doesn't seem like they will be better than Intel CPUs for a while.

The i7 3770 is not part of Intel's newest generation of CPUs, however the difference in performance between the 3770k and the newer 4770k is not that large, about 10 - 15%.

If you were to go with the newer 4770k you would also need a new motherboard as the 4770k does not fit into your current motherboard.

Plus the 4770K isn't as amiable to overclocking as the 3770K since it is designed for mobile use. So with proper cooling you could roughly rival the 4770K and wait it out until the 5770K or whatever releases.
---
He has a robot body though, if he farted it would probably come out sounding like dubstep. - ISquat600lbs
http://bit.ly/1gJaKrZ
#18C810Posted 10/20/2013 2:05:45 AM
XxTwisted26xX posted...
Flaktrooper123 posted...

If I get that i7, will I be set for next gen gaming, while using my current mobo?

You should be pretty set. Depending on how long the gen goes on, you might have to scale down your graphics settings towards the end. However you should fret too much
---
He has a robot body though, if he farted it would probably come out sounding like dubstep. - ISquat600lbs
http://bit.ly/1gJaKrZ
#19SnadadosPosted 10/20/2013 2:20:01 AM
It is hard to say how things are going to shape up in the next few years but with a modest overclock I can imagine a 3770k doing just fine for 4-5 years.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#20godplaysSNESPosted 10/20/2013 5:45:44 AM
For a new build I'd definitely recommend an i7 over i5. But I wouldn't recommend an upgrade to an i7 if one already has an i5.

Just continue using your 3350p until it becomes too slow. Then upgrade to the latest and greatest.
Chances are that by the time four cores isn't enough, an i7 ivy bridge won't perform that great either.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!