This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's with Google and Gmail these days?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's with Google and Gmail these days?
2 years ago#1
I have a few gmail accounts and couple youtube accounts. Every time I change accounts, they are constantly pestering me about name changes.

Need to change your name, do you want this name for google or this name for youtube, use a master name for all your accounts!

I've always been a big fan of both services, but this has been going on for a while now.

Is there any reason for their insistence on integrating accounts, names, and whatnot?
---
Undefeated lifetime.
Currently playing: RF: Armageddon, Beyond Two Souls, GTA V, Far Cry 3, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Ni no Kuni, Pandoras Tower
2 years ago#2
Its google trying to connect your accounts with Google+, so more people use it.
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
2 years ago#3
Really?

Annoying.
---
Undefeated lifetime.
Currently playing: RF: Armageddon, Beyond Two Souls, GTA V, Far Cry 3, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Ni no Kuni, Pandoras Tower
2 years ago#4
I found if you didn't have a Google + thing it didn't pester you as often. Of course I'm in a different boat in that I have two factor enabled and I occasionally clear all the cookies.
---
I'm searching the city for sci fi wasabi.
2 years ago#5
There is a way to delete your google + account, but doing so will prevent you from linking third party applications to your google account.
You can also remove ALL information from your google + account causing you to lose a lot of information. FRom what I read, it wasn't very descriptive about it. So I just set all things to private, changed my name and kept it. I still hate it asks me if I want my google + account tor youtube account.
2 years ago#6
I have a few gmail accounts and couple youtube accounts. Every time I change accounts, they are constantly pestering me about name changes.

That's funny... last time I went through the usual pestering from google about using my real name on youtube, I said no, and it offered me to make a special google+ account JUST for youtube (where it would no longer try to associate my "real name" with youtube again).

I did that and I decided that wasn't good enough and THEN google offered me to totally disconnect youtube from google+. I did that and it's back to how it was (without the annoying pestering I hope...I guess I'll see). I wouldn't even have a google+ account if they didn't force it on me in the first place. (I don't use facebook either).

As for exactly HOW I did this... I don't remember the specifics. I just followed the prompts it gave me.

Some website suggested that the option to disconnect google+ from youtube only exists for the first 14 days it's linked up, so I think the key is to say yes when google wants to create a special google+ account for your youtube channel first, and THEN immediately disconnect it.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://i.imgur.com/G7PNnZ8.gif
2 years ago#7
DerPancake posted...

I always found that stupid.
Why the heck is Google trying to control anonymity?

The reason why I created an account with a user name IS FREAKING BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO USE MY REAL NAME.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
2 years ago#8
Chaos_Missile posted...
DerPancake posted...

The reason why I created an account with a user name IS FREAKING BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO USE MY REAL NAME.

They want accountability in youtube comments. If people use their real name they're less likely to be sexist/racist/generally stupid in the comments. That's google's philosophy anyway.
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
2 years ago#9
I eventually gave in and just said, "Fine, link the damn things."

And then I found out that, once you link them, you can't get to your youtube inbox. It doesn't exist if you have a google account linked.

So, right back to being unlinked, as soon as I found out how.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
2 years ago#10
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
Chaos_Missile posted...
DerPancake posted...

They want accountability in youtube comments. If people use their real name they're less likely to be sexist/racist/generally stupid in the comments. That's google's philosophy anyway.

I find that incredibly annoying. You can always just make up an account with a fake name anyway, so I don't see the point.
---
Undefeated lifetime.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's with Google and Gmail these days?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived