This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's with Google and Gmail these days?

#11arleasPosted 10/20/2013 2:35:23 PM
I find that incredibly annoying. You can always just make up an account with a fake name anyway, so I don't see the point.

Yeah, right about the time Google started pressing people to use their real names is when I started seeing "Barack Obama" "Gabe Newell" and "Abraham Lincoln" making comments on a regular basis. It's a real name, but not theirs.
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#12SgtInfinityPosted 10/21/2013 4:26:06 AM
I haven't linked my name yet. Just doesn't rub me the right way.
#13zxelmanPosted 10/21/2013 4:41:54 AM
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
Chaos_Missile posted...
DerPancake posted...
Its google trying to connect your accounts with Google+, so more people use it.

I always found that stupid.
Why the heck is Google trying to control anonymity?

The reason why I created an account with a user name IS FREAKING BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO USE MY REAL NAME.

They want accountability in youtube comments. If people use their real name they're less likely to be sexist/racist/generally stupid in the comments. That's google's philosophy anyway.

Didn't stop stupid comments on facebook.
#14Moorish_IdolPosted 10/21/2013 11:12:42 AM(edited)
YoungAdultLink posted...
I eventually gave in and just said, "Fine, link the damn things."

And then I found out that, once you link them, you can't get to your youtube inbox. It doesn't exist if you have a google account linked.

So, right back to being unlinked, as soon as I found out how.

Actually the inbox does exist. But it's stupidly hidden under Video Manager for reasons only the design idiots at Google could explain.
#15KillerTrufflePosted 10/21/2013 11:00:25 AM
I've been becoming increasingly bothered by Google and the direction they've started heading. Trying to force real name accounts or linking accounts to G+ (I have exactly 0 interest in activating a G+ account for my primary Youtube account). The whole point of webmail is anonymity. Google seems to have forgotten that key point.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23