This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any advice on a cpu cooler if i can't access the back plate?

#1VoelgerPosted 10/19/2013 6:37:24 PM
I built a mini itx gaming computer in a 304 node fractal.
To install a cpu cooler like a 212 or a h60 I would need to take apart my whole computer. Unplug all the PSU cables, take out my GPU, take out my storage disks, and finally take out the mobo so I can access the back for the cooler backplate.

I want to oc my i5 4670k! It would be such a waste to not oc it with my gtx 770. I originally didn't buy a CPU cooler to save money. I regret that now. I thought I could just do it later, but I didn't realize how difficult that would be.

Are there any cpu coolers that don't require a backplate like the stock coolers?
---
Gaming PC from Mythlogic,, Wii U, XboxOne-PS4 Undecided
#2Lonestar2000Posted 10/19/2013 6:45:17 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#3Black_King945Posted 10/19/2013 7:04:30 PM
Your best bet for most efficient cooling would be tearing the unit down and installing an H80i.

There are a few coolers that don't require backplates but for a good, efficient cooler a teardown will be required.
---
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W
#4Flaktrooper123Posted 10/19/2013 7:20:51 PM
Those all in one water cooling is the easiest since they don't need a backplate. But make sure you have an exhaust port in reach to mount the radiator. Your rear fan is 14cm so I am not sure if you can mount the radiator there.
#5mrCubePosted 10/19/2013 7:24:07 PM
Flaktrooper123 posted...
Those all in one water cooling is the easiest since they don't need a backplate. But make sure you have an exhaust port in reach to mount the radiator. Your rear fan is 14cm so I am not sure if you can mount the radiator there.

I'm pretty sure most AIO water cooling setups need a backplate
---
---
#6Kokuei05Posted 10/19/2013 7:51:16 PM
Any HSF that uses push pins. Push pins suck btw.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hho9gQccPCI
#7urtvPosted 10/19/2013 8:32:00 PM
if you dont mind high temps then just get some low priced cooler that doesnt need a blackplate
#8Mytheos77Posted 10/20/2013 8:10:19 AM
You're just going to have to suck it up and pull the motherboard.

Otherwise you arent going to much better than stock.

Maybe a few degrees at best, which translates into not worth the effort.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a great one. ( You can get one for 20-35 bucks )
#9ShubPosted 10/20/2013 8:28:27 AM
mrCube posted...
Flaktrooper123 posted...

I'm pretty sure most AIO water cooling setups need a backplate

Apparently not on AMD sockets, but definitely on Intel sockets.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#10_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/20/2013 9:27:31 AM(edited)
Mytheos77 posted...
You're just going to have to suck it up and pull the motherboard.

Otherwise you arent going to much better than stock.

Maybe a few degrees at best, which translates into not worth the effort.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a great one. ( You can get one for 20-35 bucks )

I would not say this is entirely true. Sure, the really good aftermarket coolers do have a more elaborate installation which usually involves installing a backplate. But there are some small and lighter coolers without backplate that perform much better than a stock cooler.

However, I would not recommend them for anyone doing any serious overclocking. In my opinion, if you want to overclock, do it right and at the very least take the time to install the proper hardware to be able to do so.

One very popular cooler that I have not seen mentioned in this thread is the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 evo. For the price, and for the size, the cooler performs quite well and you do not have to take out the mobo to install it. But do not take my word for it. Just look up the cooler comparisons that include both this cooler and various other brands to see for yourself. I have had good experiences with this cooler in a build where the case was too small for the larger cooler (the Hyper 212 EVO for examples requires almost 8 inches of clearance).

Still, like I said, if I was thinking about overclocking I would probably also go for the Hyper 212 EVO. There is a reason everyone buys that cooler.

---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H