This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any advice on a cpu cooler if i can't access the back plate?

#11Killah PriestPosted 10/20/2013 10:01:51 AM
Cooler Master Hyper TX3

I looked into this cooler when the push pins broke on my stock cooler.

It was super loud and got terrible temps under load just OCing my q6600 2.4 to a 3.0. with temps in the 80s which was just about equal to that of the stock cooler.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#12_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/20/2013 10:11:20 AM(edited)
Hmm odd. I had just a 3-5 temperature decrease when idle, but a 8-12 temperature decrease under full load. I agree it is fairly loud compared to some coolers with its high rpm.

Mind you I am not saying it cools as good as the Hyper EVO 212, and like I said, I actually do not recommend this cooler unless there is a specific reason why you need to go with a smaller cooler, such as space issues. But my own experience was that there was a big enough difference between this cooler and the stock cooler to easily justify the price (17 euros I believe).
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#13Kokuei05Posted 10/20/2013 10:09:00 AM(edited)
The Geminii S524 is also a great choice if you can't fit the Hyper 212 EVO.
---
Girls are scary.
#14Killah PriestPosted 10/20/2013 10:11:20 AM
Hmm odd. I had just a 3-5 temperature decrease when idle, but a 8-12 temperature decrease under full load. I agree it is fairly loud compared to some coolers with its high rpm.

thats not too far off actually, my idle temps were about the same and under load the cooler master was about 5-8 degrees cooler, but thats not enough IMO to justify it being louder than the stock fan and significantly larger. I was hoping for closer to high 60s low 70s vs the high 70s low 80s I got.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#15_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/20/2013 10:17:10 AM(edited)
Killah Priest posted...

thats not too far off actually, my idle temps were about the same and under load the cooler master was about 5-8 degrees cooler, but thats not enough IMO to justify it being louder than the stock fan and significantly larger. I was hoping for closer to high 60s low 70s vs the high 70s low 80s I got.

Yeah you are right. There are some trade offs of course when going for a cooler like this. It works alright but you should not expect too much. I thought around 10 degrees difference under load was pretty good considering price and size. Though that is exactly why OP should go for 212 EVO if he wants to overclock.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H