This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How often should I shut down ?

#11arleasPosted 10/19/2013 9:15:12 PM
Sleep mode only takes up a few watts of power, but when you think of it, if you're not using it for an extended period of time, why waste all that electricity? (unless of course you're so rich you don't care about the electric bill, in which case, leave it running 24/7 instead!)

You could also try hibernation mode if you don't mind the extra disk space used...
---
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/astats_card_76561197969913402.png
http://i.imgur.com/Im803Gk.gif
#12SteamsterPosted 10/19/2013 9:19:49 PM
arleas posted...
if you're not using it for an extended period of time, why waste all that electricity? (unless of course you're so rich you don't care about the electric bill, in which case, leave it running 24/7 instead!)

It's pennies a month.

You don't need to be rich to afford a few extra pennies a month.
#13R i c kPosted 10/19/2013 9:24:23 PM(edited)
arleas posted...
Sleep mode only takes up a few watts of power, but when you think of it, if you're not using it for an extended period of time, why waste all that electricity? (unless of course you're so rich you don't care about the electric bill, in which case, leave it running 24/7 instead!)

My internet bill is more than my electric bill outside of Winter. I'm by no means rich, trust me, but letting your computer idle 24/7 doesn't use much power.

I keep my computer on 24/7 mainly for convenience but also because there's no real reason to turn it off. A few days a week I have to do something overnight, anyway, like torrenting, rendering videos or uploading videos. I reboot it every once in awhile when I feel it needs it but otherwise I just Win+L and turn the monitors off.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#14KamenRiderBladePosted 10/19/2013 9:26:28 PM
Wear and tear on your PC comes from turning on / off your PC.

There are long articles explaining the phenomenon and science behind it, but since that is a different and long subject, I'll make this brief.

I leave my PC running 24/7/365.

I only reboot every now and then, and turn off to service the machine / make fixes or changes to the hardware.

Other than that, I treat it as a server, and during winter, my tower functions as a heater.

Power is not that big of an issue honestly.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#15AskeladdPosted 10/19/2013 10:04:59 PM
KamenRiderBlade posted...

I have heard that that is no longer true for modern PCs, and only if you were talking about computers 10 or so years ago. I am by no means an expert, so I don't honestly know either way, but that is just what I have heard.
---
TWSS hes speken end the wenner es E. There cen enle be ene.
"If it can fit in a Pokeball it can fit in a Gatorade bottle. I'mma catch it." NobleRoar
#16arleasPosted 10/19/2013 10:11:05 PM
It's pennies a month.

You don't need to be rich to afford a few extra pennies a month.

I still don't see the need to have the computer on 24/7... Sleep mode is fine...

A few days a week I have to do something overnight, anyway, like torrenting, rendering videos or uploading videos.

Well if the computer is doing something useful, then yeah, leave it on... if it's just sitting idle, there's no real reason for it. If I'm seeding a torrent or doing a full defrag of a huge hard drive, then yeah, I'll leave it on too... I've got an SSD boot drive though so i'm not worried about boot up time.

You can argue all you like that it doesn't cost much to leave it on, but if there's no reason to spend that money (as little as it may be) then it seems foolish to me.

Really. I've had the same PC for long enough that I'm about ready to upgrade to an entirely new PC and I turn my PC off at least once a day and sometimes more than once a day. I have no doubt that turning it on and off repeatedly would wear things down, but unless you're playing with it like it's the Cheat's Light-switch rave, then it's not going to break anything.

Also, thanks for providing sources...here's mine:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/powering-down-computer.htm
Modern PCs are built to handle 40,000 on-off cycles before failure [source: EnergyStar.gov]. If you shut down your computer at night and start it back up in the morning, you should be good for the next 109 years.

---
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/astats_card_76561197969913402.png
http://i.imgur.com/Im803Gk.gif
#17clowningPosted 10/19/2013 10:17:24 PM
There is no need to ever power down your PC, but feel free to do so. I only power mine down if I
am upgrading, cleaning it or traveling.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#18SteamsterPosted 10/19/2013 10:21:37 PM
You just said sleep mode still takes up "all that electricity," which is what I was referencing.
#19MarikhenPosted 10/19/2013 10:22:04 PM
I shut my PC down only when:
A) A crash scrambles things so badly that I actually need to power down my system.
B) I'm installing new hardware.
C) I'm going dust wabbit hunting.

Otherwise my PC is up all the time. For that matter it only gets rebooted once every couple weeks when I do:
D) Driver updates.
E) OS updates.
F) AV updates.
G) Something really stupid in retrospect.

Of course A and G are most commonly associated with overclocking so either very common or not common at all depending on whether or not I'm in an OC'ing frame of mind.

A better question than how often should you shut down your PC is how often you should reboot your OS. Older versions of Windows, for example, were rather notorious about needing to be rebooted every few days for optimal performance. Even Windows 7 can have memory issues requiring a reboot after several weeks of uptime, though that's usually also in conjunction with running your system at or near its RAM capacity.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#20analogmanPosted 10/19/2013 11:10:18 PM
i shut it down when its not used. save power and reduce the entropy.
---
check my quote :DD