This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Oh god, Civ V

#41DoctorEggmanPosted 10/19/2013 11:38:16 PM
metalmariolord posted...
PErson Omega(jumps in conversation): You people should get Civ IV plus the Caveman2Cosmos Mod.

Can anybody tell me the name of a good 4X space game?

Would Sins of a Solar Empire count?
---
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!
http://i.imgur.com/n8yh1.jpg
#42GynthaeresPosted 10/19/2013 11:45:52 PM
metalmariolord posted...
PErson Omega(jumps in conversation): You people should get Civ IV plus the Caveman2Cosmos Mod.

Galactic Civilizations II is probably the best.

Master of Orion is really good too, if you're okay with playing something much older.
Sins of a Solar Empire is great, but it's not really a 4x. More of a really slow RTS, with 4x elements.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#43The_Mighty_KELPPosted 10/19/2013 11:59:05 PM
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
Civ 5 is complete crap once you've played and experienced Civ 4. The vast majority of hardcore Civ fans will say that 4 > 5.

I'd like to post on the behalf of the minority in this case. I personally greatly prefer 5.

Also, I see that you're still using those annoying "code" tags for every message... do you have something against legible fonts? =/
---
Jogurt attacks! Inflicts 1 point of damage on the Goblin. Goblin is defeated! Jogurt gains experience.
...it appears that Jogurt's level has increased to 1.
#44metalmariolordPosted 10/20/2013 12:15:44 AM
DoctorEggman posted...
metalmariolord posted...

Gynthaeres posted...
metalmariolord posted...

Master of Orion is really good too, if you're okay with playing something much older.
Sins of a Solar Empire is great, but it's not really a 4x. More of a really slow RTS, with 4x elements.

Thanks both of you.
I'll check them.
---
Do you judge games by graphics and not gameplay?Only like realistic games?
GO PLAY REAL LIFE!
#45bigjig777Posted 10/20/2013 12:17:40 AM
Quote:MaxCHEATER64 posted...
Civ 5 is complete crap once you've played and experienced Civ 4. The vast majority of hardcore Civ fans will say that 4 > 5.

I'd like to post on the behalf of the minority in this case. I personally greatly prefer 5.

Also, I see that you're still using those annoying "code" tags for every message... do you have something against legible fonts? =/

@The_Mighty_KELP

Count me in that "minority" too. Played every civ game, personally prefer civ 5 with expansions to civ 4 with expansions :P
---
Be water, my friend
#46masterpaul666Posted 10/20/2013 12:24:33 AM
civ 5's only problem are balance. There is none. It's extremly easy to get ahead and stomp everything, on any difficulty level.

Civ 4 wasn't much better, as far as I'm concerned, civ 2 was the best so far. It's just way too dated now.

And, for those who think stacking unit was ''op'', you've never seen artillery? They used to whip stacks to the ground almost instantly. Good armies in civ4 were something along the line of 6-7 units per square, to prevent artillery stacks from blowing everything and to cover more ground to protect borders.

Also, civ itself, the whole franchise, is overall a pretty low ranker on ''good'' 4x games. It's just popular because it's simple and easy to get into. Galactic civ2, easily outshines civ4.

Europa universalis 3 and 4 are both extremly good. 3 has a slightly better trade system, but the rest is better in 4.

I could go on :P
#47TheSchrefPosted 10/20/2013 12:37:23 AM(edited)
The_Mighty_KELP posted...
MaxCHEATER64 posted...

He always uses that font. I don't know if he's trying to stand out and be unique or what.

I never thought something so minor could annoy me, but I shake my head every time he posts. I guess if he likes it, then who am I to stop him (not that I could, lol). Not hurting anyone... just annoying them.
#48Cool_Dude667Posted 10/20/2013 1:01:03 AM
Askeladd posted...
http://tinyurl.com/7wbqgwm

word
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#49ZazabarPosted 10/20/2013 1:06:15 AM
There's nothing wrong with Civ V. In fact, it's an awesome game.

Just not as awesome as Civ IV.
---
http://www.xfire.com/profile/zazabar/ http://raptr.com/Zazabar/wall
You'll see...I'll still be Andy's favorite toy. >:)
#50MarikhenPosted 10/20/2013 2:29:17 AM
metalmariolord posted...
DoctorEggman posted...
metalmariolord posted...

Gynthaeres posted...
metalmariolord posted...

Thanks both of you.
I'll check them.

Endless Space and Armada 2526 might also be worth checking out. They've got their flaws, but they've also both got a few things going for them. Only real complaints I have is that you can't customize ship loadouts with Armada, and ship loadouts in Endless Space amount to spam missiles.

Also, the AI in ES seems to "cheat." Was taking one game to a military end and I had at least half a dozen instances of going to nuke a planet I'd just cleared of defenders only to have to clear out another 50-100 fleets of ships that weren't there the last round. That sort of thing drags the conquest speed and fun factors down, but until/unless that happens it's usually pretty fun.

There are some other titles that might be worth recommending, but they're more if not outright RTSes rather than 4X titles.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.