This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Oh god, Civ V

#61_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/20/2013 10:57:40 AM
Thank god I got over my world and city building games addiction in the 90's.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#62HighOnPhazonPosted 10/20/2013 10:59:09 AM
Civ IV is irrelevant now that Civ V has Gods & Kings + Brave New World. There really is no reason to say Civ V lacks anything when it pretty much trumps Civ IV now.
---
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#63MaxCHEATER64Posted 10/20/2013 11:02:16 AM
HighOnPhazon posted...
Civ IV is irrelevant now that Civ V has Gods & Kings + Brave New World. There really is no reason to say Civ V lacks anything when it pretty much trumps Civ IV now.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-/67553296?page=1#56
---
i5-3570K | HD 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T
http://i.imgur.com/xUwa3va.png
#64metalmariolordPosted 10/20/2013 11:12:40 AM
Marikhen posted...

Endless Space and Armada 2526 might also be worth checking out. They've got their flaws, but they've also both got a few things going for them. Only real complaints I have is that you can't customize ship loadouts with Armada, and ship loadouts in Endless Space amount to spam missiles.

Also, the AI in ES seems to "cheat." Was taking one game to a military end and I had at least half a dozen instances of going to nuke a planet I'd just cleared of defenders only to have to clear out another 50-100 fleets of ships that weren't there the last round. That sort of thing drags the conquest speed and fun factors down, but until/unless that happens it's usually pretty fun.

There are some other titles that might be worth recommending, but they're more if not outright RTSes rather than 4X titles.

I'll check them out.
Thanks
---
Do you judge games by graphics and not gameplay?Only like realistic games?
GO PLAY REAL LIFE!
#65metalmariolordPosted 10/20/2013 11:18:43 AM
il_capitano posted...
Civ 5 is the only Civ that never got me addicted, i even gave it a chance with exp packs but it just is crap, IMO.

I do still play Civ 4 and i just found out about the Caveman2Cosmos mod thanks to this topic and now i'm downloading, looks amazing even if i've been using RoM mod since forever.

The mod is huge.
It takes everything from RoM, and adds more stuff.
In some time, they're going to make the game extend to be like Final Frontier in the late game.
They already know how to do that.
---
Do you judge games by graphics and not gameplay?Only like realistic games?
GO PLAY REAL LIFE!
#66MadPinoRagePosted 10/20/2013 11:27:48 AM
HighOnPhazon posted...

Pretty much this. Civ IV is a great game, but Civ V is now so much more better.
---
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein
#67leon_trunksPosted 10/20/2013 11:52:25 AM
NotQuiteAFreak posted...

Person X: "Hey Man I just saw Dark Knight Rises and it was so awesome"
Person Y: "Yeah, but you've got to see The Dark Knight it's SO much better"
Person X: "Yeah okay!"

Person X is a douche and an idiot for watching the last film of a trilogy before watching the previous films.
---
Sketch Blog - paperuni.blogspot.com
#68Ness0123456789Posted 10/20/2013 11:56:05 AM
Enigma149 posted...
*sigh*

We've lost another one.

This.

I don't even like 4X games, but any time I boot up Civ 4, I loose myself to it...I haven't played Civ 5 yet but...I'm afraid of what it will do to me if I do.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#69ShadowThaReaperPosted 10/20/2013 12:18:59 PM
xBrokenxHalox posted...
Almost as bad as people whining because X-Com EU is too hard.

I don't think anyone does that. I'm pretty sure that the complaint is that the game's RNG can screw you over because the game is so shallow.
#70NotQuiteAFreakPosted 10/20/2013 12:20:42 PM
Gynthaeres posted...
NotQuiteAFreak posted...
Actually that's not what happened here. You never bothered to ask him why he thought Civ IV was better, you just proceeded to call him a fanboy, and he didn't proceed to bash Civ V, just initially saying it was crap in comparison to IV, then this whole argument started...

They shouldn't have had to ask him why Civ IV was better. He made the statement. After making the statement, he should have provided proof or reasoning. He did not. All he said was that a majority of hardcore Civ fans will claim that IV > V... of which there's not really much evidence for anymore, especially after the latest expansion.

My first thought was simply that the guy was trolling. I mean, that's how trolls are supposed to work: They make extreme, divisive statements, without any follow-up, and hope that people either try to attack them, or that the topic gets derailed because of them.
And looked what happened? Pretty impressive derail, and he even has people arguing for him.

No he shouldn't. You don't have to back up everything you say for sake of some arbitrary code that you just made up, especially if what you say is your opinion, unless further questioned on the matter, which again they didn't do.

And while I may not agree with what he says, I'll defend to the death he's right to say it.
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010