This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Oh god, Civ V

#71aiagfqPosted 10/21/2013 12:49:42 AM
DoctorEggman posted...
metalmariolord posted...
PErson Omega(jumps in conversation): You people should get Civ IV plus the Caveman2Cosmos Mod.

Can anybody tell me the name of a good 4X space game?

Would Sins of a Solar Empire count?

This. Love that game. Culture, research, diplomacy, warfare, economy, you name it I think all the major concepts of this game are superior to the civ equivalents. Plus being in real time helps a lot with the game pace.

There are a couple of things I just wished to make this a master piece:
1)More races(two or three more, as long as the are balanced). Gameplay wise I like the balance that exists between the 3 major factions(6 if you count sub-factions). But for extra immersion I would love to have a few more alien races. It just feels strange having a huge universe, humans, humans with psychic powers and one type of "standard looking" aliens. I know about some mods but they either don't integrate very well with the game nor are well balanced.

2)Independent planets. Similar to the city-states in Civ5, but without being such a major element of the game and instead a possible ally/foe that could offer an optional advantage/disadvantage depending of your play-style. If you ignore or attack city-states in civ5 you'll have a really bad time in King+ difficulties. The power city-states have in that game is just broken.

3)More planets and space objects. Some can be pure aesthetical variations of already existing planets, others tweaked versions, others entire different things with original gimmicks and research. Their latest DLC is an step in the right direction solving this huge problem. Just like problem number 1, there are some impressive Mods, but they suffer balancing and gameplay enhancement issues.
#72AlkVelronPosted 10/21/2013 1:50:11 AM
Civ 5 is very much superior to Civ 4. Not sure what people are talking about.
---
XBL/PSN/STEAM Account Name - NEREVAR117
"If this is the chosen way, then there's nothing left to say."
#73KidIcarootsPosted 10/21/2013 2:19:35 AM
Civ 5 is maybe the only game that almost everybody I know that play videogames likes.
#74metalmariolordPosted 10/21/2013 9:57:58 AM
aiagfq posted...
DoctorEggman posted...
metalmariolord posted...
PErson Omega(jumps in conversation): You people should get Civ IV plus the Caveman2Cosmos Mod.

Can anybody tell me the name of a good 4X space game?

Would Sins of a Solar Empire count?

This. Love that game. Culture, research, diplomacy, warfare, economy, you name it I think all the major concepts of this game are superior to the civ equivalents. Plus being in real time helps a lot with the game pace.

There are a couple of things I just wished to make this a master piece:
1)More races(two or three more, as long as the are balanced). Gameplay wise I like the balance that exists between the 3 major factions(6 if you count sub-factions). But for extra immersion I would love to have a few more alien races. It just feels strange having a huge universe, humans, humans with psychic powers and one type of "standard looking" aliens. I know about some mods but they either don't integrate very well with the game nor are well balanced.

2)Independent planets. Similar to the city-states in Civ5, but without being such a major element of the game and instead a possible ally/foe that could offer an optional advantage/disadvantage depending of your play-style. If you ignore or attack city-states in civ5 you'll have a really bad time in King+ difficulties. The power city-states have in that game is just broken.

3)More planets and space objects. Some can be pure aesthetical variations of already existing planets, others tweaked versions, others entire different things with original gimmicks and research. Their latest DLC is an step in the right direction solving this huge problem. Just like problem number 1, there are some impressive Mods, but they suffer balancing and gameplay enhancement issues.

Maybe the game has been modded to include that.
Mods always make the game last a lot longer to me.
---
Do you judge games by graphics and not gameplay?Only like realistic games?
GO PLAY REAL LIFE!
#75BrokenMachine85Posted 10/21/2013 10:09:08 AM
I bought Civ V and both it's expansions on their respective launches and so far I have 53 hours played with no end in sight. I consider that to be worth the asking price ;)
---
My Rig: | i7 3930k 6 core @ 4.6ghz | ASUS P9X79 Pro Mobo | H80 Water Cooling | 16 GB DDR3 1600mhz | 2x 2GB EVGA Nvidia 660 Ti SLi | 128 GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD |
#76GynthaeresPosted 10/21/2013 10:22:08 AM(edited)
Darkshowers posted...
Quoting Baleur on the Steam forums.

"Now, i've been whining about being disappointed over Civ5 quite alot. But i have still somewhat liked it. Not the gameplay, or balance, or combat.. But still been somewhat hopeful, especially with mods.*snip*

But after reinstalling Civ4 i just can't comprehend how many small details are utterly lacking in Civ5.
It is like comparing a pepperoni pizza to just 1 slice of pepperoni laying on the floor. "

I prefer Civ V to Civ IV. I think mechanically, it's a better game.

However one major issue I have with Civ V is basically what was listed, and an expansion of what I said. Civ V may be a better game, but Civ IV immerses you and makes you feel like you're actually guiding a civilization so, so much better than Civ V.

NotQuiteAFreak posted...
Gynthaeres posted...
They shouldn't have had to ask him why Civ IV was better. He made the statement. After making the statement, he should have provided proof or reasoning. He did not. All he said was that a majority of hardcore Civ fans will claim that IV > V... of which there's not really much evidence for anymore, especially after the latest expansion.

My first thought was simply that the guy was trolling. I mean, that's how trolls are supposed to work: They make extreme, divisive statements, without any follow-up, and hope that people either try to attack them, or that the topic gets derailed because of them.
And looked what happened? Pretty impressive derail, and he even has people arguing for him.

No he shouldn't. You don't have to back up everything you say for sake of some arbitrary code that you just made up, especially if what you say is your opinion, unless further questioned on the matter, which again they didn't do.

And while I may not agree with what he says, I'll defend to the death he's right to say it.

And as I said, I'll go ahead and call him a troll for making the statement.

If the topic was "Which do you prefer?"? That's one thing. Or, like I said, if he stated "Civ IV is better, Civ V is terrible, here's why," that'd be okay too.

But that wasn't the case. It was TC stating he enjoyed a game. The person in question then just came in and made a simple statement that the game TC is enjoying is actually garbage compared to this other, 'far superior' game. His statement was not particularly relevant, was remarkably unhelpful, elicited hostile responses, and derailed the topic. And he left, not showing up again until 50 posts later, where he made a nonsensical, quasi-joking post about how the best space-based 4x is a non-existent Civ IV expansion
Oh, and let's not forget the different, more eye-catching font he used, to make sure his post stands out.

Sorry, but that sounds like textbook trolling to me.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#77The_Mighty_KELPPosted 10/24/2013 7:06:04 PM
TheSchref posted...

He always uses that font. I don't know if he's trying to stand out and be unique or what.

I never thought something so minor could annoy me, but I shake my head every time he posts. I guess if he likes it, then who am I to stop him (not that I could, lol). Not hurting anyone... just annoying them.

Agreed. It's not a big deal no matter which way you look at it, but it aggravates me just seeing it.
---
Jogurt attacks! Inflicts 1 point of damage on the Goblin. Goblin is defeated! Jogurt gains experience.
...it appears that Jogurt's level has increased to 1.
#78GhennkinsPosted 10/24/2013 7:12:17 PM
Civ V was my first civ game and I swiftly grew to despise it. Very crap game. Don't think I've played any other game with so little player interaction in my life that didn't include cutscenes. Deplorable AI.

Hands down the worst strategy game I've ever played and I'm not even trolling. Dead serious. Don't get it unless you plan to play with friends. Then you can enjoy the tacked on multiplayer. yay.