This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good ultrabook?

#1iPWNtheNoobsPosted 10/19/2013 8:45:08 PM
What would you guys recommend?
Or would you recommend a general laptop and which?
Thinking of the sony vaio
---
Space Waster
#2KamenRiderBladePosted 10/19/2013 9:23:36 PM
Depends on what you want to do with your laptop.

I would recommend a desktop PC that you build yourself if you want max performance for your buck, if you want a laptop, please remember that you get Ultrabook's because you need basic functionality (i.e. non gaming) with maximum battery life.

If you want to game there are some really solid 17" laptops that have decent battery life.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152444

This would be my recommendation if you need a all around laptop.

But if you want maximum performance for your money, nothing beats a home made PC.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#3self-immolationPosted 10/19/2013 9:41:30 PM
15" have the greatest range and also easier to lug around than a 17"
ultrabooks are good for internet/word processing
i'd only get a 17" if you're always on the move when working and you need something with muscle during your down tim
---
SMELL THE GASOLINE
I LIGHT THE FIRE INSIDE
#4iPWNtheNoobs(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 6:19:31 AM
I already have a PC for gaming. Need an ultrabook/laptop for the portability and yea, word processing and internet.
---
Space Waster
#5ShubPosted 10/20/2013 7:02:01 AM
I don't know how much you had a mind to spend, but the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro is very nice.
Or a MacBook Air.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6MC RaZaRPosted 10/20/2013 7:17:24 AM
I heard the Lenovo Yoga 2 pro was pretty decent.
---
Oh, I don't want to walk that far. Anything that takes more than 12 steps isn't worth doing! Eh? 12? Get it? Steps! Hehehe.- Homer J. Simpson
#7iPWNtheNoobs(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 11:44:28 AM
Okay, taking a look at the Lenovo Yoga 2 pro
---
Space Waster
#8iPWNtheNoobs(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 8:41:18 PM
bump, any other opinions?
---
Space Waster
#9KamenRiderBladePosted 10/20/2013 9:15:43 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100020039%208000&IsNodeId=1&Description=Samsung%20ATIV%209&name=Ultrabooks&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=20

Samsung ATIV 9 series

They have some of the highest ratings for Ultrabooks

You can Google up the reviews yourself.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#10GTRagnarokPosted 10/20/2013 9:18:56 PM(edited)
I'm been looking at the Yoga 2 Pro myself for the past week. Of the new Haswell Ultrabooks coming out, it has the best value by far. The ability to go into a tablet form is pretty nice too. However, there's an issue right now with poor color reproduction. Yellow, in particular, is very bad:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/28765iBE3347D95BAD29FC/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

There's a temporary fix where a powersaving feature is turned off which makes the backlight brighter and the yellow looks better. But this causes a significant reduction in battery life. I don't know if this is something that can be fixed by a software or firmware update.

i think the 3200x1800 display is the reason for this issue. It's not your regular RGB panel, where each pixel is comprised of of red, green, and blue subpixels. This one is an RGBW panel, where each pixel only has two subpixels, either red and green or blue and white. The subpixel density is less than if it was RGB, and I think this is the cause of the color issue. The Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus uses the same display, and AFAIK it has a similar issue but to a lesser extent. Samsung makes the panel used in both, so its possible they're keeping the good ones for themselves...

I'm still hanging back and waiting to see what happens. The Yoga 2 Pro is hard to beat in value, but its issues are hard to overlook. My other choices are the Ativ Book 9 Plus or the Asus Zenbook UX301 and UX302. These are much more expensive for the same specs, but their build quality, especially Asus's, are top notch. I'm leaning more and more towards the Zenbooks at this point. Their Gorilla Glass 3 covered body should keep them looking pristine for years. The UX301's 2560x1440 IGZO display looks amazing. I wish the Yoga 2 Pro used it instead of the faux 3200x1800 one. Tough choices.
---
M17x R4 | i7-3720QM | 2GB 7970M | 16GB DDR3 1600 | 128GB Samsung PM830 mSATA SSD |