This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is my laptop finally toast?

#1Cricket 2Posted 10/20/2013 9:12:16 AM
So last I saw it, my laptop was running fine. When I got up in the morning all the lights on it were still on, but it wasn't responsive and the screen wouldn't light up or do anything. I thought maybe something was screwed up with the display, since it had been plugged into my tv, but I turned it off and now it won't boot.

When I hit the power button, the lights all come on, the hard drive light comes on for a second or two and I hear it spin up, but I don't hear it really read from anything. The screen and backlight never turn on and nothing but the fans end up running. I don't get any hardware beeps or anything until I press a couple keys on the keyboard. After the fifth key press or so, every key after that makes the computer beep. Any idea what's broken on this thing?

It's a Gateway P-6860fx, if that matters.
---
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7009/lastfmb.jpg http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3654/dbdc2838bb85622bb025665co4.png
#2self-immolationPosted 10/20/2013 4:33:41 PM
could be motherboard or hdd

get a sata-to-usb adapter or any hdd enclosure, take out your laptop hdd, and see if you can read anything off it on another a computer. if that doesn't work, your hdd is dead. otherwise, your motherboard is probably done

either way sounds like you need a new computer
---
SMELL THE GASOLINE
I LIGHT THE FIRE INSIDE
#3fataliPosted 10/20/2013 5:15:35 PM
I had a similar situation with a Dell laptop, and turns out that they made a very dumb design flaw with the motherboard, it can not boot if the cmos battery runs low.

It was a real pain to replace because they decided to place the battery on the least accessible spot, I had to take it completely apart to get access to the top of the motherboard and replace the little battery, but once I replaced it it started to boot fine.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.