This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is my laptop finally toast?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is my laptop finally toast?

User Info: Cricket 2

Cricket 2
3 years ago#1
So last I saw it, my laptop was running fine. When I got up in the morning all the lights on it were still on, but it wasn't responsive and the screen wouldn't light up or do anything. I thought maybe something was screwed up with the display, since it had been plugged into my tv, but I turned it off and now it won't boot.

When I hit the power button, the lights all come on, the hard drive light comes on for a second or two and I hear it spin up, but I don't hear it really read from anything. The screen and backlight never turn on and nothing but the fans end up running. I don't get any hardware beeps or anything until I press a couple keys on the keyboard. After the fifth key press or so, every key after that makes the computer beep. Any idea what's broken on this thing?

It's a Gateway P-6860fx, if that matters.

User Info: self-immolation

3 years ago#2
could be motherboard or hdd

get a sata-to-usb adapter or any hdd enclosure, take out your laptop hdd, and see if you can read anything off it on another a computer. if that doesn't work, your hdd is dead. otherwise, your motherboard is probably done

either way sounds like you need a new computer

User Info: fatali

3 years ago#3
I had a similar situation with a Dell laptop, and turns out that they made a very dumb design flaw with the motherboard, it can not boot if the cmos battery runs low.

It was a real pain to replace because they decided to place the battery on the least accessible spot, I had to take it completely apart to get access to the top of the motherboard and replace the little battery, but once I replaced it it started to boot fine.
Mystery is the source of all true science.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is my laptop finally toast?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived