This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

XIII is such a good game

#21ggf162Posted 10/20/2013 7:08:36 PM
The game's one downfall was that it had a tendency to put checkpoints before unskippable cut-scenes, that eventually drove me away from it.
---
The Dude abides
#22sonicteam2k1(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 7:10:58 AM
ggf162 posted...
The game's one downfall was that it had a tendency to put checkpoints before unskippable cut-scenes, that eventually drove me away from it.

try not to die
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#23GawdDawgsPosted 10/21/2013 7:52:35 AM
why was it removed from GOG?
---
It does not matter where we go. It is not the destination that matters...it is the journey.
#24KillerTrufflePosted 10/21/2013 8:00:17 AM
I still have the original discs. I tried to install it following the instructions for making it work properly on newer Windows, and could only get it as far as loading the start screen, but the instant I tried to actually start a game, it would crash out. I've been wanting to play that game again so much lately, but can't get the stupid thing working.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#25sonicteam2k1(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 8:59:14 AM(edited)
KillerTruffle posted...
I still have the original discs. I tried to install it following the instructions for making it work properly on newer Windows, and could only get it as far as loading the start screen, but the instant I tried to actually start a game, it would crash out. I've been wanting to play that game again so much lately, but can't get the stupid thing working.

try running the installation in windows 98/ME compatibility mode.

dump the game to do this. then when you start the setup, the install will lock up and the mouse icon will just spin loading, and then what you do is while this is happening, rename the setup file, "setup111" and the install will proceed. Eventually the install will ask you for some other file, basically it will stop. at that point just rename the setup file back to "setup"

should work. Someone posted this on GOG a while ago I remember.
---
See The Game Collection
#26sonicteam2k1(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 8:56:17 AM
GawdDawgs posted...
why was it removed from GOG?

I think licensing.
---
See The Game Collection
#27KillerTrufflePosted 10/21/2013 9:12:19 AM
sonicteam2k1 posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

dump the game to do this. then when you start the setup, the install will lock up and the mouse icon will just spin loading, and then what you do is while this is happening, rename the setup file, "setup111" and the install will proceed. Eventually the install will ask you for some other file, basically it will stop. at that point just rename the setup file back to "setup"

I already went through everything for that - I got it installed just fine. And I was even able to run the game, and get to the start menu screen for the game. But when I actually tried to *start* a new game, it would crash.
---
#28sonicteam2k1(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 10:33:29 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
sonicteam2k1 posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

I already went through everything for that - I got it installed just fine. And I was even able to run the game, and get to the start menu screen for the game. But when I actually tried to *start* a new game, it would crash.

there is a patch that you might need. I can get it to you when I get off work. There were some instructions for it but I didn't have to follow them. All I did was run the installer for the patch and it worked with no problem.
---
See The Game Collection
#29blade6321Posted 10/21/2013 10:38:35 AM
It was removed from GoG?

Damn.

Good game, I remember playing the "grim reaper" mode or something with a friend and having a blast.
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
-Crabdom Ambassador.
#30KillerTrufflePosted 10/21/2013 11:05:00 AM
sonicteam2k1 posted...
there is a patch that you might need. I can get it to you when I get off work. There were some instructions for it but I didn't have to follow them. All I did was run the installer for the patch and it worked with no problem.

It's been a while now, but I have some vague memory of downloading and installing a patch - which is why the game was able to load. I had to tweak it to install it (basically involved copying my discs to a folder, renaming a file, and some other stuff), and then I believe I had to patch it to get it to even load. I'm not positive on that tho. I just figured it was because I'm on Windows 8, and there's something different about how the game works on 7 vs. 8.
---