This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

$400 to update this budget pc...

#1Ham_DogPosted 10/20/2013 11:54:39 AM
2.4 ghz dual core cpu
radeon 7770
4 gb ram
lga 1155 asrock h61m-dgs mobo
450 watt psu

recommendations?
#2DiehardFFv2Posted 10/20/2013 12:05:20 PM
You won't see any significant performance jumps in that price range alone. Any GPU that would be worth upgrading to from the one you have would be held back by the processor.

For 400 dollars, my best suggestion would be to get a 3570k/4670k, accompanying mobo and 128GB SSD if you don't have one. You'll have to look around to make all of that fit into there, but it is possible. At that point, it's just a matter of waiting until you have the cash to get a GPU where the gains will be worth the additional cost.
---
Intel i7 3570k | Sapphire r9 280x | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
#3Last Grand MageX2Posted 10/20/2013 2:03:44 PM(edited)
DiehardFFv2 posted...
You won't see any significant performance jumps in that price range alone. Any GPU that would be worth upgrading to from the one you have would be held back by the processor.

For 400 dollars, my best suggestion would be to get a 3570k/4670k, accompanying mobo and 128GB SSD if you don't have one. You'll have to look around to make all of that fit into there, but it is possible. At that point, it's just a matter of waiting until you have the cash to get a GPU where the gains will be worth the additional cost.

I'd suggest a second stick of ram instead of an SSD, and I'd say that upgrading to an i7 would make more sense right now, as it seems like next gen games are going to finally take advantage of hyperthreading/multiple cores.

The problem for the TC, he's stuck in that dead zone where there isn't a meaningful upgrade in the 300-400$ range, it's time to start thinking about a brand new build. If he gets a new GPU it'll be bottlenecked by his CPU, and buying a modern CPU would require an new motherboard, and for the cherry on top, 8GB RAM is basically the current standard for a gaming PC build. So you're at the point where you're keeping maybe your PSU, a stick of RAM (assuming you can find another 4GB stick of the RAM you have, which can be difficult, depending on the age of your RAM), and your case, which probably doesn't have USB 3.0, though I doubt that would be a deal breaker for you.

Edit: I didn't see that you have an LGA 1155 mobo already, so an i7 ivy bridge would be a good upgrade which won't require a new mobo, though you're still going to want more ram and an new GPU in the near future.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#4gsf4lyfePosted 10/20/2013 2:08:49 PM
Last Grand MageX2 posted...
DiehardFFv2 posted...

I'd suggest a second stick of ram instead of an SSD, and I'd say that upgrading to an i7 would make more sense right now, as it seems like next gen games are going to finally take advantage of hyperthreading/multiple cores.

The problem for the TC, he's stuck in that dead zone where there isn't a meaningful upgrade in the 300-400$ range, it's time to start thinking about a brand new build. If he gets a new GPU it'll be bottlenecked by his CPU, and buying a modern CPU would require an new motherboard, and for the cherry on top, 8GB RAM is basically the current standard for a gaming PC build. So you're at the point where you're keeping maybe your PSU, a stick of RAM (assuming you can find another 4GB stick of the RAM you have, which can be difficult, depending on the age of your RAM), and your case, which probably doesn't have USB 3.0, though I doubt that would be a deal breaker for you.

Edit: I didn't see that you have an LGA 1155 mobo already, so an i7 ivy bridge would be a good upgrade which won't require a new mobo, though you're still going to want more ram and an new GPU in the near future.

Literally recommending an i7 on an H61 board
---
Currently playing: Borderlands 2
SteamID: gsf4lyfe