This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is it crazy to have a 50 inch monitor for your PC?

#1castrejon04Posted 10/20/2013 4:14:21 PM
I might do it, but I think it might be too big for my room since I want to have a nice Plasma HDTV and use it for everything.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#2link510Posted 10/20/2013 4:17:36 PM
At that point, you're basically just hooking your PC up to a TV, which is perfectly fine. A lot of people do it. However, if you literally mean having a 50 inch monitor on a desk (just like a "regular" PC set up) then you're probably in that second thoughts zone.
#3clowningPosted 10/20/2013 4:29:10 PM
Size of the screen should be based on your viewing distance from it.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/367190/how_big_screen_do_need_my_room_/
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#4kelemvorPosted 10/20/2013 7:42:39 PM
I wish they would make nice displays without TV tuners and all that post processing s*** for people who want very large monitors for HTPCs. I wold kill for something 48-60" with low latency, 120hz and 1440p resolution. If you have a cable box/DVR or Bluray player you don't even need a TV tuner, just HDMI.

I use a small keyboard with a built in trackpad for basic browsing, a Xbox 360 controller for Games, and a separate wireless keyboard and mouse that I use whenever I play a more mouse driven game like Civilization 5.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#5SenkoyPosted 10/20/2013 8:37:45 PM
I've had my PC hooked up to my 61" tv since 2006 in a HT set up. They're not as good as monitors, but since i don't compete or play online, it's more than good enough for me.
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE
#6The cranky hermitPosted 10/20/2013 9:06:45 PM
I wish they would make nice displays without TV tuners and all that post processing s*** for people who want very large monitors for HTPCs.

I wish they'd do that regardless. TV tuners seem pointless in an era where cable providers make you rent their cable boxes, and all that post-processing crap makes me want to grab the remote out of my hosts' hands and turn it off when I visit their houses. There are SO many options which serve no purpose but to kill image fidelity, and they're all turned on by default, which leads me to the conclusion that anyone who doesn't know to turn them off is actually watching TV wrong.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#7_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/20/2013 10:04:39 PM
Depends. I do not like it in a typical desk setup. If I had a 50 inch monitor right in front of my face, I actually have to take time to look across the screen. It may be a cool experience but if you play any competitive online game, my guess is that you would actually do worse because you can no longer see your whole screen at a glance.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#8JKatarnPosted 10/20/2013 10:24:36 PM
The problem with larger screens is that unless the screen is also a much higher resolution, you lose a great deal of pixel density of course, and with the much closer typical viewing distance using a computer entails, it's very noticeable.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#9castrejon04(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 10:10:57 AM
kelemvor posted...
I wish they would make nice displays without TV tuners and all that post processing s*** for people who want very large monitors for HTPCs. I wold kill for something 48-60" with low latency, 120hz and 1440p resolution. If you have a cable box/DVR or Bluray player you don't even need a TV tuner, just HDMI.

I use a small keyboard with a built in trackpad for basic browsing, a Xbox 360 controller for Games, and a separate wireless keyboard and mouse that I use whenever I play a more mouse driven game like Civilization 5.

There is nothing wrong with having a tv tuner whether you use it or not. I don't understand why they should get rid at all, it never came into question in the idea that it should have one or not. Not everyone has cable boxes for every TV, and I certainly don't for every room in the house since it cost more money for each additional one. Now why would they make computer monitors that large anyway? There is no market for that. Just get a TV and be done with it, they aren't that expensive these days.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#10SlaynPosted 10/21/2013 10:31:39 AM
I switched from a 1080p 37" that was REAL close to a 1440p 27" that is a little bit closer, I find the sharpness, higher resolution, and better DPI to be superior to the "wow" factor of the size. I did use the 1080p for years though.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.