This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looks like I'll be building a new computer in the coming months.

#1Alucard188(Moderator)Posted 10/20/2013 3:42:34 PM
My computer has been powering off randomly and unexpectedly over the past little while. It did it most recently when I tried to play some Civ V this morning. Browsing through the event logs, the Kernel-Power has been registering some unintended power offs. There are a few things that could cause this: 1) Virus or malware, 2) corrupted registry keys, 3) PSU may be dying. I'm banking on the PSU dying, as it's over 6 years old at this point. The mobo, video card, ram, and CPU are all 3+ years old, and my HDDs are around 2 years old.

While I could just replace my PSU and be done with it, my GTX 460 needs upgrading to handle The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt when it comes out. Nvidia is doing a holiday bundle sale with participating retailers, where if you buy one of their select video cards (GTX 660, 670, 680, 700 series, TITAN), you'll get download codes for Splinter Cell Blacklist and AC4 for free. Seeing as I'm upgrading my video card and likely replacing the PSU, I may as well spend the extra money and go the full monty.
---
Face it Cloud is a gaming icon and has appered in lots of games while mario has only appeared in 2 games sunshine and 64~xSlashbomBx
#2Snuckie7Posted 10/20/2013 4:25:20 PM
So what kind of budget are we working with here?
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#3Alucard188(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 10/20/2013 4:31:05 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
So what kind of budget are we working with here?

Not sure yet. I don't really budget things too much, but most of my builds have been in the range of $900 - $1200. This is CAD, mind you.
---
Face it Cloud is a gaming icon and has appered in lots of games while mario has only appeared in 2 games sunshine and 64~xSlashbomBx