This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why can't you crossfire CPUs?

#11Digital StormPosted 10/20/2013 9:03:35 PM
kyler45 posted...
If this was a common thing, and it was easy, I'd do it in a heartbeat, however I feel there is a VERY small percent of Motherboards that will support it, or am I thinking about this backwards?

It's common enough. ASRock, ASUS, Supermicro, Intel, Tyan all come to mind. You can find them on Newegg under the server section of motherboards starting at around 250 and going up into the 500-600 dollar range.

I'm in the process of building one for myself to replace three aging servers.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#12TroublemakerTMPosted 10/21/2013 11:40:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50
---
Help get Suguri Collection on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105716878
#13Kokuei05Posted 10/21/2013 11:48:30 AM
From: YoungAdultLink | Posted: 10/20/2013 9:14:50 PM | #005
That's what the first dual-core CPUs were.

Intel stuck 2 Pentium 4s together and told them to work together. It didn't work particularly well.

AMD actually took one of their server CPUs and stuck them together. They were already made to work in tandem, so it worked rather well.

All the Core 2 Quad series were as well. 2 dual cores forced into marriage by Intel.
---
Girls are scary.
#14lightningbugxPosted 10/21/2013 1:16:09 PM
To the TC, what do you know about computer hardware and programming? There are two concepts in the idea of AMD/ATI's crossfire.

If you are following the idea of having multiple GPUs in a system, CPUs already do that. It depends on the task manager and how the software is designed to run.

If you are following the idea of how the multiple GPUs work in tandem on a single task, that is parallel processing. GPUs split a workload in order to draw more pixels onto a single framebuffer. In this case, all of the workloads are similiar as the GPU only draws. To perform this with multiple CPUs, that really depends on the task at hand and the programmer has to write the code that way.