This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Well, that escalated quickly. (TotalBiscuit vs. Wild Game Studios)

#21AsellusPosted 10/21/2013 9:12:11 AM
I haven't read anything about this, but as I already think that TB is a grade A, 100% dips***, I've already decided.

Developer sends TB a game to review, TB doesn't like it, developer files copyright infringement claim to youtube to get the review removed claiming that since it shows the game it's unauthorized use of their ip.

Like the guy or not he is 100% in the right here. This is scummy behavior that should not be tolerated.
#22MonkeymagePosted 10/21/2013 9:22:39 AM
Nineteen99 posted...
ImMrMojoRisin posted...
So it's infringing on a company's copyright, now, to use footage of their game in a review? This is going to open a nasty trend of companies *****ing to Youtube about copyright every time they see a negative review of their game.

That's TB's point, and it's illegal under the Fair Use laws for WGS to do what they did.

Especially when they sent him the review code after he asked for it, for the purpose of reviewing the game. I'm not a huge TB fan, but yeah, this is ridiculous.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#23arleasPosted 10/21/2013 9:48:59 AM
This is going to open a nasty trend

You apparently haven't seen stuff they're already doing... In the video TB described an event where everyone who even slightly mentioned a certain Sega game (and a very old one at that) got slapped with an infringing copyright claim, and the only reason they did it was to boost the google search ranking for their new game.
http://youtu.be/QfgoDDh4kE0?t=9m45s (a link to the part of the video where he talks about this)

Maybe it's not the same as a "bad review" but it's evidence of using the DMCA to file claims in bad faith.

Also there's http://www.chillingeffects.org/index.cgi

That site is dedicated to revealing how the DMCA can/has/will be used to censor people or otherwise prevent someone from using their content legally.
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#24Eclypse9810Posted 10/21/2013 10:35:04 AM
Even War Z didn't do this.
---
Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
#25KillerTrufflePosted 10/21/2013 10:36:37 AM
No... Sergey just cussed people out, called them names, and in general made an ass of himself. He was probably having too much of a temper tantrum for it to occur to him he could try and get the negative reviews taken down.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#26il_capitanoPosted 10/21/2013 10:39:07 AM
Who vs who?
---
Farewell MGO, the first love will never be forgotten. 06/12/12
#27TheBlueDeathPosted 10/21/2013 11:09:17 AM
Ningishzida posted...
twopoundcow posted...
You should probably watch the video so you'd learn that TB is 100% right.

sorry, i don't listen to idiotic newbs, and that's what TB is

just an old man who got into gaming too late (and it shows) and is therefore irrelevant.

Can you make dumber posts?

I have to ask because you're probably maxing out on the stupidity right now.
---
~~~~RED~~~~ ~~~~GREEN~~~~ ~~~~~BLUE~~~~~
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#28ShadowThaReaperPosted 10/21/2013 11:11:31 AM
TheBlueDeath posted...
I have to ask because you're probably maxing out on the stupidity right now.

Why are you so in love with a fat, angry, bald man?
#29BrokenMachine85Posted 10/21/2013 11:12:55 AM
Well TB's video is currently (at the time of posting) at well over 1 million views. I think it's safe to say that WGS will reap what they have sown.
---
My Rig: | i7 3930k 6 core @ 4.6ghz | ASUS P9X79 Pro Mobo | H80 Water Cooling | 16 GB DDR3 1600mhz | 2x 2GB EVGA Nvidia 660 Ti SLi | 128 GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD |
#30anonymous46773Posted 10/21/2013 11:21:58 AM
Ningishzida posted...
twopoundcow posted...
You should probably watch the video so you'd learn that TB is 100% right.

sorry, i don't listen to idiotic newbs, and that's what TB is

just an old man who got into gaming too late (and it shows) and is therefore irrelevant.

My troll radar is blinking. Must. Not. Respond.

KillerTruffle posted...
No... Sergey just cussed people out, called them names, and in general made an ass of himself. He was probably having too much of a temper tantrum for it to occur to him he could try and get the negative reviews taken down.

The devs of War Z were fairly similar, only instead of bad reviews, it was banning the users themselves.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.