This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I sell this (old) laptop?

#1CardigansFanPosted 10/20/2013 7:20:56 PM
I have this laptop:
http://www.cnet.com/laptops/sharp-actius-mm20/4505-3121_7-30800836.html

My brother got it off someone who was ready to throw it away, and it's in pristine condition. I'm on the fence as to whether I should keep it or sell it. I've been keeping an alert on eBay for when something related comes up (either a battery for it or a laptop in the same model range), and in the five or so months I've had it, not a single auction has popped up - meaning if somebody buys it off me, that's probably the last I'll ever see one.

Anyway, the screen is nice since it does 1024x768@200Hz, and I have the extended battery - which even with its age, holds a decent charge...but even with a stripped-down XP install, it's still slow as hell, so I don't know what I'd use it for if I kept it. Not really the type to keep stuff "just because." The network card doesn't even pick up any wireless networks for some reason (even with the proper drivers installed), so I need an ethernet connection to use internet; I've tried replacing it, but it's a miniPCI card of a weird size, so finding a modern replacement isn't easy.
---
3570k | GTX670 FTW | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD
Xperia Z Ultra 16GB Black * Samsung NX20 * AKA Magus77
#2GTRagnarokPosted 10/20/2013 7:32:22 PM
It was about to be thrown away for a reason.
---
M17x R4 | i7-3720QM | 2GB 7970M | 16GB DDR3 1600 | 128GB Samsung PM830 mSATA SSD |
#3DerPancakePosted 10/20/2013 7:39:57 PM
I give you 5 dollars. 10 dollars max.
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#4ATARIJAWAPosted 10/20/2013 7:41:34 PM
GTRagnarok posted...

---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105
#5Doomsday FortePosted 10/20/2013 7:41:40 PM
You might be able to get some use out of it with a really lightweight Linux install. The 1GHz processor is really going to hold it back, I think.
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.
#6CardigansFan(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 7:52:16 PM
Doomsday Forte posted...
You might be able to get some use out of it with a really lightweight Linux install. The 1GHz processor is really going to hold it back, I think.

See, I thought about that, but:
-Never used linux
-Not sure if any of the old hardware would work
-Still don't know what I'd do with it

GTRagnarok posted...

I guess that makes sense. Mostly just surprised that it was basically brand new in condition.
---
#7kyler45Posted 10/20/2013 8:00:31 PM
It'd be a nice computer to tinker with, if you're in to it, or for downloading files you think may be malicious in any way (It's like a Meatshield!)
---
Xbox Live: Kyler45
AC:CF 0605-3418-4438 Name: Kyler Town: Larova
#8JockoPosted 10/20/2013 8:23:44 PM
Get a cheap wireless USB dongle to solve your wireless issue. Use it for light browsing on trips or out and about. That 512MB of RAM is precious. Use msconfig to make sure nothing extraneous is using your RAM then take it a step further by using autoruns to strip it down to the bone.

If you want to go extra crazy you can buy a 32GB ssd and that would help with virtual memory speed.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#9CardigansFan(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 8:44:44 PM
Jocko posted...
Get a cheap wireless USB dongle to solve your wireless issue. Use it for light browsing on trips or out and about. That 512MB of RAM is precious. Use msconfig to make sure nothing extraneous is using your RAM then take it a step further by using autoruns to strip it down to the bone.

If you want to go extra crazy you can buy a 32GB ssd and that would help with virtual memory speed.

I have one, but I have yet to use it - and I remember from using USB peripherals on a similarly low-specced device...that USB dongle is going to really ramp up CPU usage and make things slower; hell, it spikes just from moving the mouse around.

I mean, I'm thinking of keeping it for typing stuff up...if I had stuff to type up.

And an SSD wouldn't do me any good on XP, without TRIM support.
---