This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are you enjoying the stanley parable?

#11NfuzedXGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 7:19:07 AM
Its supposed to be short with branching paths its a Mod made into a real game. Its not going to be a 12 hour campaign, its justa game basically made for amusement and its pure genius imo.
#12Ch3wyPosted 10/21/2013 7:21:49 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
No it's much longer than 20 minutes. You do realize when it restarts it doesn't actually end, right?

It's not that much longer.

It's at least 2 hours long.

Add another 4 hours if you want to get the divine spirit of art ending.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#13clowningPosted 10/21/2013 8:41:58 AM
Played the demo. Was amused for five minutes. Got bored. Did not buy game.

See no point in paying money for someone to tell me the obvious tension between game designers presenting the illusion of choice vs players wanting actual choice, etc.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#14SpazH3dPosted 10/21/2013 8:49:29 AM
I played it for 6-7 hours straight yesterday. I am now a changed man.
---
- My vision is augmented
#15Ch3wyPosted 10/21/2013 8:50:32 AM
clowning posted...

See no point in paying money for someone to tell me the obvious tension between game designers presenting the illusion of choice vs players wanting actual choice, etc.

Wow, so you didn't even get to the demo.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#16pothocketPosted 10/21/2013 9:15:44 AM
clowning posted...

Just so you know, even though the demo is the illusion of choice the actual game contains actual choice. TSP is full of ironic contradictions like that.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#17clowningPosted 10/21/2013 9:29:18 AM
pothocket posted...
clowning posted...

Just so you know, even though the demo is the illusion of choice the actual game contains actual choice. TSP is full of ironic contradictions like that.

The point is that the only choice you have is that which the game creator gives you, while trying to provide the appearance that you are free to choose whatever you wish. The game could give 100 choices, but you are still not free, you can only choose what is made available to you.

The whole "game" is about this very thing; the illusion of freedom/choice. The choices you make are made a-priori for you by the game designer.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#18KillerTrufflePosted 10/21/2013 9:35:07 AM
clowning posted...
pothocket posted...
clowning posted...

The point is that the only choice you have is that which the game creator gives you, while trying to provide the appearance that you are free to choose whatever you wish. The game could give 100 choices, but you are still not free, you can only choose what is made available to you.

The whole "game" is about this very thing; the illusion of freedom/choice. The choices you make are made a-priori for you by the game designer.

Do you have a suggestion or idea for how to change that and allow gamers to make choices *not* made available by the developers?
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#19Ch3wyPosted 10/21/2013 9:35:57 AM
According to the Raphael trailer literally anything is possible in the game.
---
#20pothocketPosted 10/21/2013 9:39:21 AM
clowning posted...
pothocket posted...
clowning posted...

Good point, but TSP showed me how I'm still free even within that point of view. Besides, if the developer creates an official path in response to predicting what players will choose rather than simply removing that path/choice as an option, can you really say it's an illusion of choice? Otherwise you might as well claim our only true choices in games are those the developer never planned for and I don't believe that.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson