This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is a good Processor and Graphic Card to get? New build help

#1Cosmic_CoyotePosted 10/21/2013 10:00:58 AM(edited)
I had been doing a research (and made 2 topics recently here asking for some hardware advice) and I finally took the decisión of upgrading my machine, which is total B/S as I just made the PC from scratch in 2010 (and it costed a lot) and now that I ask apparently everyone tells me my PC is garbage.

BUT I need to upgrade in order to keep playing newer games, but buying anything here is super mega expensive so I have to think well before anything, and the first step is to know what I can keep and what I can sell. (I donīt buy in US dollars so the budget will be absolutely different here)

My current setting:

-Win 7 Ultimate x 64
-i5 650 @ 3.2 Ghtz (Dual core but with Hypertreading)
-Ati Radeon HD 5770 1 GB XFX
-6 GB RAM (DDR3)
-3 TB HDD (3 HDD of 1 TB each)
-Motherboard Gigabyte
-600 watts PSU (Cooler Master)

I already have a good case, monitor, DVD, Blu Ray, card reader, fans, mouse + KB, HDMI cables, etc... so I can cut some costs.

What I need to know is:

1.-What is a good processor to get? an i5 or a i7? One that can last few years without being outdated garbage

I want to invest in a processor that people wonīt say in a month as usually: "Lol who buys a 8 core processor in 2013, when we just got 32 cores processors last week lololol" Because honestly this is apparently what happens every time I buy a PC hardware and ask here.

2.-Do you think I would need a new Motherboard for it or could I do with my current one? A friend offer me to give me his Montherboard, that is this model: b85m-d3h Is it good or is mine better?

3.- A good Graphic Card that wonīt cost an eye out of the face (I can buy right now a 3GB 7950 for a fair Price, how good or bad is it?)

4.-Can I keep my 6 GB DDR3 RAM or should I need to buy other kind of RAM?

5.-Overall, do you think I should wait a bit for new processors or graphic card series or buy my new PC in December??

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions, but I really need help before I take any bad decisions or greedy salespersons tray to rip my wallet apart with super expensive hardware I probably donīt need.
---
"There is no knowledge that is not power"
#2SlaynPosted 10/21/2013 9:43:56 AM
Are you happy with the performance of your current PC?
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#3kyler45Posted 10/21/2013 9:49:10 AM
I suppose the best question first is do you want to stick with Ati/AMD or are you planning to swap to nVidia?
---
Xbox Live: Kyler45
AC:CF 0605-3418-4438 Name: Kyler Town: Larova
#4Cosmic_Coyote(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 9:50:27 AM
Slayn posted...
Are you happy with the performance of your current PC?

I really am.

I can run ANY current game (at least for now) at very decent settings, I can run emulators with good grame rates, run amny aplications etc...

However I already noticed 2 games I will have troubles to run (Battlefield 4 which I suspect will run at unplayable fps rate and CoD: Ghosts which apparently I wonīt even be able to run)

Other tan that this is why I have so many doubts.

Itīs not a deal of death or life to upgrade, but I need to consider it.

Probably... if I only have trouble with these 2 games I can sabe few months till I can buy all but still I would like to know if I need to.
---
#5Cosmic_Coyote(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 9:52:29 AM
kyler45 posted...
I suppose the best question first is do you want to stick with Ati/AMD or are you planning to swap to nVidia?

What are the perks of both?

I spoke with a salesperson and he confused me further.

I know Nvidia can emulate 3D and have PhysX, but he also told me a high end AMD card can do it too, and I donīt know if it is true or B/S

I only have experience with Ati cards, not bad at all except drivers.

So I really would like to know.
---
#6AsellusPosted 10/21/2013 9:53:06 AM
Why not just get a newer video card and see if you still feel in need of an upgrade after that? My i7 920's nearly five years old by this point and it still runs everything out there great.
#7WyzeGyePosted 10/21/2013 9:54:40 AM
Asellus posted...
Why not just get a newer video card and see if you still feel in need of an upgrade after that? My i7 920's nearly five years old by this point and it still runs everything out there great.

I agree with this. Get a new video card and call it a day
---
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
#8Cosmic_Coyote(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 9:58:07 AM
WyzeGye posted...
Asellus posted...

I agree with this. Get a new video card and call it a day
---

But what bout the dual core processor?

Many people keep telling me it will bottleneck it

also what about the graphic card I mentioned in the initial post? is it good or should I get something better?
---
#9AsellusPosted 10/21/2013 10:03:52 AM
But what bout the dual core processor?

Many people keep telling me it will bottleneck it

Worst case scenario you're just getting one part slightly ahead of the others.

also what about the graphic card I mentioned in the initial post? is it good or should I get something better?

It's only a $30 price difference between a 7950 and a 7970, I'd suggest ponying up for the later.
#10godplaysSNESPosted 10/21/2013 10:06:02 AM
Since you specifically mentioned Battlefield 4, lots of people had problems running the beta. Users with Windows 8 reported much better performance, but there were complaints for Windows 8 as well.

For BF4, you could also wait until we have seen how it performs with Mantle. HD 7000 cards and above, as well as CPUs, will supposedly have much better performance in games using Mantle.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!