This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is a good Processor and Graphic Card to get? New build help

#31josh_bPosted 10/22/2013 8:53:35 PM
a i7 is going to be your best bet as far as future proofing. Im currently running a i5 2500k and have had no problems running any game at the moment. I have a i7 sitting on my desk right now to replace it soon as I get the chance... no real rush until battlefield 4 comes out which will help out a lot.

as far as gpu just buy what ever your budget allows. No matter what your buy it's going to be outdated in a few months.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585
#32Cosmic_Coyote(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 9:46:31 PM
josh_b posted...
a i7 is going to be your best bet as far as future proofing. Im currently running a i5 2500k and have had no problems running any game at the moment. I have a i7 sitting on my desk right now to replace it soon as I get the chance... no real rush until battlefield 4 comes out which will help out a lot.

as far as gpu just buy what ever your budget allows. No matter what your buy it's going to be outdated in a few months.

but which series of the i7? (last time I tough all i5 were the same and I ended up with a dual core)

Also what about the 7950 vs 7970 vs GTX 770?

I saw a comparison in this site but donīt know exactly how to interpretate it

http://www.hwcompare.com/14643/geforce-gtx-770-vs-radeon-hd-7970/

Also why in New Egg the same card with the same characteristics have different prices, for example I see the 7970 at 309, then 349, then 399, 409 etc... ?
---
"There is no knowledge that is not power"
#33josh_bPosted 10/22/2013 10:16:54 PM
Cosmic_Coyote posted...
josh_b posted...

but which series of the i7? (last time I tough all i5 were the same and I ended up with a dual core)

Also what about the 7950 vs 7970 vs GTX 770?

I saw a comparison in this site but donīt know exactly how to interpretate it

http://www.hwcompare.com/14643/geforce-gtx-770-vs-radeon-hd-7970/

Also why in New Egg the same card with the same characteristics have different prices, for example I see the 7970 at 309, then 349, then 399, 409 etc... ?

i7-3770K is what I would recommend since it has overclocking possibilities in the future so it can last you even longer. make sure your motherboard can take it

I would go with Nvidia if you can stand the higher price point as their cards have always performed better for me and they seem to deliver drivers more frequently. GTX 770 is a great card. Should manage to get at least 3 years before you see a serious hit in performance but that is just speculation since we never know how demanding games are going to get in the future.

Either way it's very solid performing card that should do wonders over what your currently using.

Around the new year I plan on purchasing two GTX 780 Ti gpu's and call it a day on upgrading for the new several years.

The reason cards range in different prices is because they are from different companies and some companies cards are generally better than the rest and as a result have a higher price point. a lot of the higher priced cards of the same type have higher clockspeeds and different cooling solutions that make it better for overclocking.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
#34sin_shenronPosted 10/22/2013 10:20:48 PM
josh_b posted...

i7-3770K is what I would recommend since it has overclocking possibilities in the future so it can last you even longer. make sure your motherboard can take it

I would go with Nvidia if you can stand the higher price point as their cards have always performed better for me and they seem to deliver drivers more frequently. GTX 770 is a great card. Should manage to get at least 3 years before you see a serious hit in performance but that is just speculation since we never know how demanding games are going to get in the future.

Either way it's very solid performing card that should do wonders over what your currently using.

Around the new year I plan on purchasing two GTX 780 Ti gpu's and call it a day on upgrading for the new several years.

The reason cards range in different prices is because they are from different companies and some companies cards are generally better than the rest and as a result have a higher price point. a lot of the higher priced cards of the same type have higher clockspeeds and different cooling solutions that make it better for overclocking.

Thank you again

I was researching some Video Cards on Best Buy now and I am now more confused

the GTX 770 not only seems to go around 400 to 500+ USD but also some are of 2 GB some others of 3 GB some on 4 GB??? WTF?? Which one is the right one?
(Same with the 7970)

Also how do I know if my Motherboard can take it??
---
"Live as if you were to die Tomorrow. Feel like you were to be Reborn now. Face as if you were to Live Forever"
FFVII DoC.
#35josh_bPosted 10/22/2013 10:32:34 PM(edited)
sin_shenron posted...
josh_b posted...

Thank you again

I was researching some Video Cards on Best Buy now and I am now more confused

the GTX 770 not only seems to go around 400 to 500+ USD but also some are of 2 GB some others of 3 GB some on 4 GB??? WTF?? Which one is the right one?
(Same with the 7970)

Also how do I know if my Motherboard can take it??

Well since Battlefield 4 is stated to require 2+ gbs of ram on the gpu to run at max I would go with a 4gb model card. Same reason I bought the GTX 670 4gb... most people told me I was stupid to do that but I guess they were wrong lol.

just look at the box of the motherboard came in and it should tell you what chipsets are supported. then just match that up with what ever CPU you pick and you should be set. Also beware that some Motherboards require a Bios update to support newer chipsets. My Motherboard currently will not run the i7 I have at the house but with a update it will work. Bios updates are something I don't have much experience with and with my motherboard it seems from ive read it can brick it and ill have to return it to get it fixed. reason I haven't done it yet.

Also I noted that you only have 6gb of ram in your pc. I would recommend jumping to 8GB if your wanting to further future proof your system. obviously I went all out and went with 32GB which was a bit over kill but Ram isn't that expensive.
---
#36Cosmic_Coyote(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 1:32:16 PM
Thank you again.

Yes I will update to at least 8 GB RAM as well.

Now... letīs say I buy an i7-3770K, is it 4 cores or 8? are there even 8 cores processors out there? And do you think it will last or any news about new pocessors?

Second, I just Heard about acard, the R9 280X, people says is the same as the 7970 and more or less performs the same as the 770 GTX except for $100 less

Is that true? and if it is, will it be a good card to play FUTURE games (I know current ones are pretty much well)

For example, will I be able to run CoD Ghosts at high?
---
#37Cosmic_Coyote(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 8:25:58 PM
I also found the model of my Motherboard:

Gigabyte P55-US3L

It says it does support i5 and i7 processors

Now..... how do I know if I can install a Graphic card like the 770 GTX / 7970 or R9 280X??

is there something I must check or are they compatible?

Also my PSU is a Cooler Master 600 Watts, but how do I know if it is compatible with the Graphic Cards? The pins? I donīt know?

it says it have:

20+4 Pin Motherboard Connector x 1
4 + 4 Pin CPU + 12v Connector x 1
6+2 PCI-e Connector x2
SATA Connector x 6
4 Pin Peripherial Connector x 3
4 Pin Floppy Connector x 1

Will I have troubles connecting the Graphic Card?
---
#38sin_shenronPosted 10/26/2013 12:07:42 PM
BUMP for this
---
"Live as if you were to die Tomorrow. Feel like you were to be Reborn now. Face as if you were to Live Forever"
FFVII DoC.