This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Disabling vsync (Binary Domain)

#1KabtheMentatPosted 10/21/2013 10:52:03 AM
I would post this on the Binary Domain PC board, but it's dead as hell. So I figure I'd take a shot here and see if anyone could help out. In the game's little configuration program you can disable it, but it doesn't actually seem to disable it as the game still doesn't go higher than 60FPS. I get that constantly, so it's not a big problem, but with large boss battles sometimes the frame rate will dip and it'll be noticeable. Without vsync on, that wouldn't be a problem (though there could be massively bad screen tearing, I dunno yet).

7850 2GB
965 BE 3.4GHz quad core
8GB RAM
blah blah blah I more than beat the game's specs, so my hardware isn't the issue. I have vsync off in my CCC. I've have problems like this in some games like Mass Effect or Fallout, but have been able to tinker with some .ini file to completely remove the vsync, but I can't seem to find anything similar with Binary Domain.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#2sonicteam2k1Posted 10/21/2013 10:54:49 AM
AMD = FINISHED?
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#3KabtheMentat(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 10:55:44 AM
Totally.
---
Skillz Ferguson
#4YoungAdultLinkPosted 10/21/2013 11:02:25 AM
Maybe the game's just capped to run at 60?

Also, how would the ability to run at over 60 FPS make it any less noticeable when the frame rate drops below that?
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#5KabtheMentat(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 11:07:55 AM
They wouldn't drop below 60, that's the point. Without vsync who knows what FPS I'd get...probably closer to 100. So when those scenes that make the game drop into the 30s-40s happen, they'd instead drop into the 70s or so...thus not noticeable.
---
Skillz Ferguson
#6_Killzor_Posted 10/21/2013 11:16:37 AM
KabtheMentat posted...
They wouldn't drop below 60, that's the point. Without vsync who knows what FPS I'd get...probably closer to 100. So when those scenes that make the game drop into the 30s-40s happen, they'd instead drop into the 70s or so...thus not noticeable.

I don't think that's how framerates work...
#7kill2thisPosted 10/21/2013 11:17:34 AM
KabtheMentat posted...

I didn't think it worked like that,
#8KabtheMentat(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 11:22:26 AM
Vsync caps the rates, right? When frames go lower it then caps the frames rate again in order to keep it "smooth" rather than have giant variables.

Not every game does this, but a lot of them do when vsync is enabled. One off the top of my head is Bioshock Infinite. Had to vsync it because the screen tearing was so bad. When I'd get into an area with a big fight and the frame rate went from 60 constant to say 50, it would then cap it at 30 constant. When you'd take the vsync off the FPS would fluctuate between like 50-80, mostly staying around 60.
---
Skillz Ferguson
#9AnatomyHorrorPosted 10/21/2013 12:30:14 PM
_Killzor_ posted...
KabtheMentat posted...

If you had a 60hz monitor it would work exactly like that. You wouldn't notice if the game was @ 120fps and it dropped 75. Your monitor dictates how many frames you'll be able to perceive.
#10Z2488Posted 10/21/2013 12:42:29 PM
AnatomyHorror posted...
_Killzor_ posted...
KabtheMentat posted...

If you had a 60hz monitor it would work exactly like that. You wouldn't notice if the game was @ 120fps and it dropped 75. Your monitor dictates how many frames you'll be able to perceive.

You would most certainly notice the frame tearing, though.
---
i5 2500k at 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 670 - MSI Z68A-GD80 - Seasonic X 750W - GSkill 16GB - Crucial m4 128GB - NZXT Beta EVO