This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Disabling vsync (Binary Domain)

#11AnatomyHorrorPosted 10/21/2013 1:44:25 PM
Not necessarily. I dunno why but some games tearing isn't as noticeable. BF3 and CSGO I don't really notice any tearing when they're being played at 100+fps.
#12KabtheMentat(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 2:10:39 PM
Yeah, some games you can get a ridiculous amount of FPS, much higher than what your monitor can do, and you'll see little to no tearing. Some games you get 62FPS and it's like playing something in split screen.

Just depends on the game.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#13kill2thisPosted 10/21/2013 2:53:55 PM
I "thought" (using a 60hz monitor) the maximum you would see with Vsync would be 60fps (if set to 60) so obviously if you were 100+ it'd make no difference, I wasn't aware that V-sync had affect on any framerate drops. I assumed if you say had a drop to 40 with Vsync on you would have the same drop to 40 if v-sync was off.

I know that's worded horrendously.
#14KabtheMentat(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 3:00:51 PM
You'd think that, but that's not how it works. I don't know all of the technical mumbojumbo, but vsyncing takes up much more power from the GPU than not, so it's got a harder time holding that constant 60FPS rather than letting it fluctuate between 50-100FPS.

IMO vsync is generally a bad idea. Only worth it if you A) Can run the game pretty well to begin with at the desired settings and B) Have bad screen tearing.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#15johnny_payPosted 10/21/2013 3:59:49 PM
its not a case of power. its because it holds frames until your monitor refreshes so it causes a sort of traffic jam with the gpu. its like a traffic cop telling the frames when they can go.