This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Sonic Generations worth it?

#1Chaos_MissilePosted 10/21/2013 7:10:15 PM
I used to be a Sonic fan back in the Megadrive days. But due to circumstances, have not been following or playing many Sonic games post-Megadrive(well, except for those on the GBA through an emulator, but I didnt like the gameplay or music there)

I've played(but never beat) Sonic 1, came close to beating Sonic 2(that Death Egg Robo still frightens me to this day), loved Sonic 3(and cannot see the appeal of locking it onto Sonic & Knuckles. It's perfectly fine by itself. Also has a much more coherent story seperate than together), played S&K only till Sandopolis at best, and Gene Gadget in Sonic 3D Blast. Also managed to find and beat Sonic Adventure DX for the PC(and this is my ONLY experience with a 3D Sonic game. God, Big was horrible). Never beat Sonic Advance 1 or 2.

And that's my Sonic history.

I noticed Generations had a demo on Steam(which I only recently signed up to) and decided to give it a whirl.

Modern Sonic composed of my biggest problem with Sonic games now: the focus on speed, speed and nothing but speed. Sure, there's some platforming, but it seems to be mostly on rails. Also, it was far complex to control Modern Sonic since the game on the PC seems to cater more towards a peripheral I've not owned/touched in over 10 years: a gaming controller. I remember when Sonic games were so easy to pick up and play.

Gave Classic Sonic a twirl since I'm more familiar with it. Pretty manageable, though I'm no longer used to the gameplay, but I'm sure that will come with practice. Arguably has just as much focus on speedrunning through a stage like Modern Sonic, but the platforming is still more apparent than Modern. But probably the thing that threw me off the most was how horrible the spindash was. It was as bad as the Advance and SA DX games: that is to say, pretty useless and pointless.

Should I get this?
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#2SteamsterPosted 10/21/2013 7:18:10 PM
I think it's worth full price, but I've seen it get bundled and put on sale for some great prices.

If you're this uncertain, wait until a sale then buy it.
#3mess98Posted 10/21/2013 7:22:58 PM(edited)
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/26498/

Just get that.
Amazing value...

and comes with Sonic Generations (for the same price as Sonic Generations by itself)
---
Windows 8.Core i7 4770.Geforce GTX 660 Ti.8GB Ram.
#4triple sPosted 10/21/2013 7:22:47 PM
The PC version is great and paid full price for it($30) and felt it was worth it.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#5SteamsterPosted 10/21/2013 7:24:26 PM
mess98 posted...

Just get that.
Amazing value...

and comes with Sonic Generations (for the same price as Sonic Generations by itself)

That's the bundle I was thinking of, didn't realize it was (always) available
#6Doomsday FortePosted 10/21/2013 7:29:28 PM(edited)
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/26498/?snr=1_5_9__403
(Edit: Hah, beaten to the punch again.)

You can get I think every Sonic game on Steam for $30. That said...

You probably would have trouble with Modern Sonic. I didn't really like the Day stages in Unleashed (yeah I know) and I haven't played much of Colors, but I guess I've had some preparation. You kinda get used to it is what I wanna say. I think Generations is worth it, though it's honestly kinda short. There's some replay value in trying to do all of the missions and getting all of the red rings in each Act, as well as the achievements, but I put only 8.7 hours into it to beat the game and...somehow manage to delete my save, so I gotta start all over.

If you don't want to put the dosh down on $30 of Sonic games, there's no harm in waiting. Winter Sales are coming.
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.
#7Nagisa_ShinjuPosted 10/21/2013 7:32:59 PM
That's....it? The only 3D Sonic you've played is Adventure 1? You've missed out, big time. Playing these without a controller is also doing yourself a disservice. Nothing has really changed all that much, IMO. Run in, pretty much, one direction towards a goal. Button for jump, button for boost...double tap for a homing attack...erm, pretty simple.

I would definitely get that pack on Steam. You're getting the best of the best right there. All for the price of a game that is worth full price to begin with...and the pack includes it!

You'll get to complete Sonic 3/Knuckles, which IMO, you should. Excellent game there. Sonic CD which is awesome. Both Sonic Adventures...Both Sonic All Stars Racing games, which are highly regarded as well. The Sonic 4 episodes, which are okay IMO, Ep2 is definitely better than the first.

Plenty of value in that pack, I can't think of anything they could add to that package other than Sonic R and Sonic Fighters...

Actually forget I said that, the pack is perfect the way it is.
#8mess98Posted 10/21/2013 7:33:13 PM
Steamster posted...
mess98 posted...

Just get that.
Amazing value...

That's the bundle I was thinking of, didn't realize it was (always) available

It was advertised during the Summer Sale... but it was kind of a trick...
The individual games were on sale for 75% off but the bundle was regular price.
---
#9arrseeteePosted 10/21/2013 7:34:32 PM
Depends on the price you are looking to buy it for, usualy I hate to put a value on games based on price. I mean if its for XB and about $30 I'd pass. I got the game awhile back on steam from amazon and pretty much surprised me. Got it on a whim and ended up beating it over the weekend. Got pretty addicting really, combined old school with new. Story is pretty basic, and the voice acting is annoying. But has some great throwbacks and refernces to past games. Some levels have both 2d/3d options as well. For XBI'd say for ~$15/20 it's worth it imo. But for Steam I can probably find you the game+dlc for around $7 if you can find a trader. Ill do a quick search for you.
---
Posting from phone. So Police, don't whine about minor mistakes.
#10mess98Posted 10/21/2013 7:34:42 PM
Nagisa_Shinju posted...
That's....it? The only 3D Sonic you've played is Adventure 1? You've missed out, big time. Playing these without a controller is also doing yourself a disservice. Nothing has really changed all that much, IMO. Run in, pretty much, one direction towards a goal. Button for jump, button for boost...double tap for a homing attack...erm, pretty simple.

I would definitely get that pack on Steam. You're getting the best of the best right there. All for the price of a game that is worth full price to begin with...and the pack includes it!

You'll get to complete Sonic 3/Knuckles, which IMO, you should. Excellent game there. Sonic CD which is awesome. Both Sonic Adventures...Both Sonic All Stars Racing games, which are highly regarded as well. The Sonic 4 episodes, which are okay IMO, Ep2 is definitely better than the first.

Plenty of value in that pack, I can't think of anything they could add to that package other than Sonic R and Sonic Fighters...

Actually forget I said that, the pack is perfect the way it is.

I think I have my copy of Sonic R sitting in a box somewhere... That game was wicked.

for about 2 hours.
---