This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Sonic Generations worth it?

• Topic Archived
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Sonic Generations worth it?
2 years ago#21
Chaos_Missile posted...
I used to be a Sonic fan back in the Megadrive days. But due to circumstances, have not been following or playing many Sonic games post-Megadrive(well, except for those on the GBA through an emulator, but I didnt like the gameplay or music there)

I've played(but never beat) Sonic 1, came close to beating Sonic 2(that Death Egg Robo still frightens me to this day), loved Sonic 3(and cannot see the appeal of locking it onto Sonic & Knuckles. It's perfectly fine by itself. Also has a much more coherent story seperate than together), played S&K only till Sandopolis at best, and Gene Gadget in Sonic 3D Blast. Also managed to find and beat Sonic Adventure DX for the PC(and this is my ONLY experience with a 3D Sonic game. God, Big was horrible). Never beat Sonic Advance 1 or 2.

And that's my Sonic history.

I noticed Generations had a demo on Steam(which I only recently signed up to) and decided to give it a whirl.

Modern Sonic composed of my biggest problem with Sonic games now: the focus on speed, speed and nothing but speed. Sure, there's some platforming, but it seems to be mostly on rails. Also, it was far complex to control Modern Sonic since the game on the PC seems to cater more towards a peripheral I've not owned/touched in over 10 years: a gaming controller. I remember when Sonic games were so easy to pick up and play.

Gave Classic Sonic a twirl since I'm more familiar with it. Pretty manageable, though I'm no longer used to the gameplay, but I'm sure that will come with practice. Arguably has just as much focus on speedrunning through a stage like Modern Sonic, but the platforming is still more apparent than Modern. But probably the thing that threw me off the most was how horrible the spindash was. It was as bad as the Advance and SA DX games: that is to say, pretty useless and pointless.

Should I get this?

Yes they are eminently easy to pick up and play....with a controller - I remember trying the PC port of Sonic CD with the keyboard back in the day and it wasn't pretty. To answer your original question though, Sonic Generations is IMO the best sonic title yet, combining levels and elements from several different Sonic titles. Chances are if you're a fan of Sonic games to any degree you'll enjoy the game.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
2 years ago#22
No Sonic game is worth it. Just wait for it to be 75% off and get it then.
2 years ago#23
Well, after reading all of that and where you're coming from and such... I would definitely invest in a controller and the Sonic pack. You've missed out on some great installments and from your detailed description of Sonic 3's ending, I take it you're a fan.

Quick question for ya though...when did Tails "die"? I really don't remember that at all. IIRC, he was with ya all the way through S3 until the last part Launch Base...where he would respawn over and over due to the ship only letting Sonic ride it to the boss area.
2 years ago#24
Nagisa_Shinju posted...
Well, after reading all of that and where you're coming from and such... I would definitely invest in a controller and the Sonic pack. You've missed out on some great installments and from your detailed description of Sonic 3's ending, I take it you're a fan.

Quick question for ya though...when did Tails "die"? I really don't remember that at all. IIRC, he was with ya all the way through S3 until the last part Launch Base...where he would respawn over and over due to the ship only letting Sonic ride it to the boss area.

Tails will join you for the battle against the (already easy to beat) EggTower if you lock onto S&K, using that immortality respawn he has.

In Sonic 3 alone, once Sonic gets into the Egg-O-Matic, Tails attempts to, but falls into the water and drowns, doing his death animation. Note that he DOESNT respawn for the battle against the EggTower here.

In addition, if we were to take S&K as a direct sequel to Sonic 3, note that only Sonic(and Knuckles) is playable. What happened to Tails?

I have a theory that he "died" during the battle against the Egg Bowler in Sonic 3 while Knuckles just fell into the water, storyline-wise ^_^

Lastly, most of the final battles usually just has Sonic alone (the Modern games aside) squaring off against Robotnik for that epic and difficult feel. So, why does Tails join you for the battle against the Death Egg Emperor(aka final boss of S&K not Doomsday) if you lock-on? Doesnt that make the final boss theoretically easier? It's like if Tails was there in Death Egg Zone during Sonic 2. Mecha Sonic and Death Egg Robot would be trivial.

And what happened to him once Doomsday comes about? Can he magically fly through space and breathe in space? It works in both Death Egg zones because they're in a space station which we can safely assume has breathable air. But after the final battle, the station pretty much explodes.

TL;DR I dont think he was supposed to be there, and that it was just an oversight with the lock-on technology when you choose the Sonic&Tails team when starting a new game.

Yes, I'm a fan of Sonic 3 standalone. Was my childhood before I discovered about the lock-on tech a decade later. Still feel like it's a tad bit superior compared S3&K.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
2 years ago#25
Heh, yeah, I kinda came to the same conclusion after thinking about it for a while. Sonic 2 and 3 were pretty much all I played on the Genesis way back when. Never owned S&K, just rented it a bunch of times. Never really gave the story of those games much thought either. Your theories put a cool spin on things...
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Sonic Generations worth it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived