This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to install printer in Ubuntu?

#1aPCplayerPosted 10/22/2013 5:22:03 AM
I have a Canon D530 and I went through the standard printer app but it didn't find the right drivers for mine. So I went to the actual website and downloaded the drivers for the printer on Linux and extracted it but I'm not sure how to exactly install the drivers I just downloaded. Is there a certain command I have to put into terminal to install the whole package?
#2SlaynPosted 10/22/2013 5:29:48 AM
Maybe Linux isn't for you.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#3mess98Posted 10/22/2013 6:01:48 AM
Slayn posted...
Maybe Linux isn't for you.

Come on, don't be "that guy".

He's gotta learn somehow.
---
Windows 8.1.Core i7 4770.Geforce GTX 660 Ti.8GB Ram.
#4DoramiPosted 10/22/2013 6:25:02 AM(edited)
dpkg -i <filepath>
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#5New LinkPosted 10/22/2013 6:45:44 AM
Just to be sure you're on the right track... What type of file did you download? a .deb? .tar.gz? .rpm?
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#6JockoPosted 10/22/2013 6:57:35 AM
Welcome to Linux where even the most simplistic and routine tasks will make you want to tear your hair out.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#7New LinkPosted 10/22/2013 7:01:47 AM
Jocko posted...
Welcome to Linux where even the most simplistic and routine tasks will make you want to tear your hair out.

Good thing is that's just until you figure out what you're doing, whereas that feeling never ends on windows
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#8Orestes417Posted 10/22/2013 8:31:34 AM
You really should be asking on the Ubuntu forums, and it should be the first place you look. That said there should have been instructions on the download page or in the extracted files
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#9SinisterSlayPosted 10/22/2013 8:35:10 AM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
You really should be asking on the Ubuntu forums, and it should be the first place you look. That said there should have been instructions on the download page or in the extracted files

If you do ask, be sure to mention in detail everything you have already tried.

If your question comes off as you sounding lazy, they won't help and will instead go elitist and start insulting you.

You should see how bad my old thread went when I tried to get my old soundblaster 16 working.
It took 4 pages of flaming before someone just said "ISA support was removed from the kernel, you will have to compile your own to make it work again" And then they posted instructions.

The instructions were way above me though, so I gave up.

Then the same problem trying to get my Canon BJC 4300 working.
Again, I gave up after a few months. It could detect the printer, it just couldn't print.
This was back in Ubuntu 8, which was horrifically slow. I couldn't understand why people said it was faster than Windows.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#10ForeverZero2Posted 10/22/2013 8:52:45 AM
or better yet don't post or visit the ubuntu forums ever in your life, community there is terrible