This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Laptop HDD about to die.

#1Zealot_warriorPosted 10/22/2013 9:40:09 AM
This thing has been running for me for 2 years, now I'm getting those messages that it's about to die.
Is there anything I need to know when I go about replacing it? Not exactly tech savvy here.

My latop is a Dell (yes I know) XPS L702X.

Thanks.
#2bravo1Posted 10/22/2013 10:12:32 AM(edited)
Edited to include Windows info:

Before replacing the HDD, verify that you have a Windows installation key OR a recovery disc. Dell normally puts this under the battery, but that was before recovery partitions became a thing. If you do, and you don't have a Windows DVD, you're going to want to download a Windows ISO that corresponds to the version of Windows your key is for. You should then make a bootable USB drive or burn the ISO to a disc. This should be done on a different computer so as to ensure file integrity.

If you don't have a key, you'll have to call Dell or use a program to identify your windows installation key.

When shopping for a replacement, make sure you purchase a 2.5" HDD. Either 5400 or 7200 RPM will work, the HDD in that is likely a 5400. Shop around for a good brand with a decent warrenty. Samsung and Western Digital are good.

As for replacing it, should basically involve pulling out the battery, unscrewing the bottom chassis, unscrewing the HDD cage and then removing the HDD. They'll likely be different sets of screws, so keep like screws together to make reassembly less of a headache. You can find an exact manual online, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

After replacing the HDD, you should insert your USB/DVD, and press DEL as the laptop boots. If you have a recovery disc, it'll automatically install the drivers along with Windows. If not, you'll need to download the drivers from Dell's website to a USB drive, and then install them manually onto the laptop.

If you have data you need to pull off the failing drive, do it sooner rather than later.
---
3DS FC: 3952-7065-0089
#3wizardmonPosted 10/22/2013 10:04:55 AM
If your laptop has two drive bays you can put the second drive in, install windows onto it and then move your important files from the failing drive to the new one. For programs it's suggested to just reinstall them so their registry is all correct.

If you don't have a Windows disk there are legal places to get the ISO file needed to make yourself one. Use the key on the Laptop.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#4Zealot_warrior(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 10:19:42 AM
Alright thanks, working on getting a Windows disk right now.

Would this hdd be a good replacement? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I9J5OG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1