This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What specs should I be looking at in a hard drive?

#1XxTwisted26xXPosted 10/22/2013 10:48:13 AM
I have a 750GB HD (one I pulled from my school laptop and installed in my desktop) that is now getting filled. I'm looking into buying a 1-2TB HD, but suddenly I'm confused at what to buy. I see 500GB HDs being priced at the same price as 2TB HD (no, neither were SSDs). Does it really matter? All I use this desktop for is school work and games. If it doesn't matter,. how is this HD?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178391

And I know SSDs are the awesome, but so expensive :(.
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
"When you play the games of thrones, you win or you die. Theres no middle ground" - Cersei Lannister to Eddard Stark
#2electroflamePosted 10/22/2013 10:58:27 AM(edited)
Generally, you're looking at RPM speed (the higher the better for performance). One thing to note, though, is that the higher the RPM, the louder the hard-drive (usually).

Personally, I would advise against Seagate, as every Seagate I've ever had has died within a year or so -- a week or so after it's left it's warranty period.

This is the hard drive I've got, I believe: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136792

Thus far it's been great -- it's a little loud, but for a 2TB 7200RPM drive it's fine.

If you want one that's quieter (but also slower -- wouldn't recommend for games or an OS drive) you can try the Western Digital Green series.

EDIT: Forgot to say that the hard drive I posted has a 5 year limited warranty, too.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#3PhilOnDezPosted 10/22/2013 10:59:46 AM
That drive says its an NAS drive. I wasn't aware that there was any difference between an NAS drive and a regular one so it may or may not work perfectly fine.

Here's a $90 2tb Barracuda so it's cheaper and definitely intended for use in a desktop. I have a 1tb one and it's been great. So long as the 2tb ones are reliable as well there shouldn't be any problem (I haven't heard anything about them in a long time so I assume they're fine now).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005T3GRN2/
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#4Loserman15Posted 10/22/2013 11:04:00 AM
Ewww, a notebook harddrive in a computer? It's probably 5400rpm, GROSS!
#5Digital StormPosted 10/22/2013 11:11:30 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
That drive says its an NAS drive. I wasn't aware that there was any difference between an NAS drive and a regular one so it may or may not work perfectly fine.

Warranty usually. NAS drives are rated for 24/7 usage.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#6XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 12:21:00 PM
Loserman15 posted...

I know lol. I was saving money when I began making my desktop. But now that I have the money to make a sexy desktop, Ive installed so much on this HD, that it will be a pain to reinstall it all over again :P. When I replace this HD as my main HD, I plan to buy a 180 GB SSD to be my OS boot one and then keep whatever 2TB HD I have as my game HD.
---
"When you play the games of thrones, you win or you die. Theres no middle ground" - Cersei Lannister to Eddard Stark
#7electroflamePosted 10/22/2013 2:40:54 PM
Loserman15 posted...

I know lol. I was saving money when I began making my desktop. But now that I have the money to make a sexy desktop, Ive installed so much on this HD, that it will be a pain to reinstall it all over again :P. When I replace this HD as my main HD, I plan to buy a 180 GB SSD to be my OS boot one and then keep whatever 2TB HD I have as my game HD.

Don't reinstall everything unless you want a cleaner, less bloated OS. You can use a hard drive imaging program, like Ghost, to make an image and install the image on the new drive. It'll work exactly the same, without reinstalling everything.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
#8XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 12:10:46 AM
Loserman15 posted...

Actually I looked it up and youre right lol, its 5400

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136568
---
#9Erik212Posted 10/23/2013 12:54:37 AM
electroflame posted...
Don't reinstall everything unless you want a cleaner, less bloated OS. You can use a hard drive imaging program, like Ghost, to make an image and install the image on the new drive. It'll work exactly the same, without reinstalling everything.

I wouldn't load an hdd image onto an ssd, especially with an OS on it. If installing Windows 7+ there are optimizations made for ssds, you could make the adjustments manually but I wouldn't recommend it (namely trim instead of defrag).

I'm a fan of the clean install when migrating to ssd, or at least using the utility that comes with the ssd instead of generic imaging software. It's just easier and with much less risk of issues down the road, at least that's my opinion.
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.
#10electroflamePosted 10/23/2013 9:38:38 AM
I wouldn't load an hdd image onto an ssd, especially with an OS on it. If installing Windows 7+ there are optimizations made for ssds, you could make the adjustments manually but I wouldn't recommend it (namely trim instead of defrag).

I'm a fan of the clean install when migrating to ssd, or at least using the utility that comes with the ssd instead of generic imaging software. It's just easier and with much less risk of issues down the road, at least that's my opinion.

Well, no, if you're moving to an SSD, you should reinstall for sure. I'm pretty sure TC said that he was getting a hard drive, though, not an SSD. That's why I said to do an image.
---