This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much to charge for a house call?

#1FustmonkeyPosted 10/22/2013 1:02:59 PM
So I'm helping out a co-worker with some networking and computer issues, and he wants to pay me what I think is fair. He's paying for the parts, that's not a problem but I don't know what to charge. It will probably be an hour or hour and a half.

I would do this for free for the guy, I want to do it for free. But he insists that I pay him, and it's insulting to him if I refuse the money. He's a super good guy.

So what would be fair?
---
How many mods does it take to screw in a light bulb? "the lightbulb is technically not violating the TOS so we're powerless to do anything about it"
#2Ch3wyPosted 10/22/2013 1:03:49 PM
$1200.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#3KidInTheHallPosted 10/22/2013 1:04:46 PM(edited)
$1201.

---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#4Killah PriestPosted 10/22/2013 1:05:12 PM
Tell him to buy you some pizza and beer or something.

I had someone who would refuse to give me no less than 100, I'd just go there every month run CCleaner and he would force me to take the 100.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#5DerPancakePosted 10/22/2013 1:05:29 PM
oral?
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#6Fustmonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 1:09:13 PM
Killah Priest posted...
Tell him to buy you some pizza and beer or something.

I had someone who would refuse to give me no less than 100, I'd just go there every month run CCleaner and he would force me to take the 100.

He's got family there and stuff, so we're not going to eat pizza and drink at his house, though that would be fine with me!

He buys me lunch every time he works, which is usually once or twice every other week. Today we spent $27 for lunch.

I'm thinking $25 or $30.
---
How many mods does it take to screw in a light bulb? "the lightbulb is technically not violating the TOS so we're powerless to do anything about it"
#7Killah PriestPosted 10/22/2013 1:14:50 PM
Price of lunch is always a good rule to go by when dealing with a friend that insists on paying.

Some people think they are big ballers tho and throw money away which was the case in my situation.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#8arleasPosted 10/22/2013 1:24:00 PM
I would do this for free for the guy, I want to do it for free. But he insists that I pay him, and it's insulting to him if I refuse the money. He's a super good guy.

Let him pay you what he thinks it's worth. If you honestly would do it for free, then whatever he offers is going to be more than you expected.

Usually with me if a coworker asks for help, I let him decide what it's worth with him knowing full well that if he doesn't pay decently (which depends on how much trouble it is) It's not worth my time to go out there, but I always make sure he's set up with everything running perfectly before I leave so he has no regrets.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/r5PgL.gif
#9ThePCElitistPosted 10/22/2013 2:22:30 PM(edited)
Just ask for $50-$100 and leave it at that. I mean Geeksquad would charge at least $500 for the same thing.
---
#10Bigj089Posted 10/22/2013 2:51:42 PM
Id say $20-$40 if he insists. I would recommend giving him a price if he insists on paying so he doesnt feel obligated to pay you a lot more than youre comfortable being paid and he will feel comfortable giving you a set amount that you asked for.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator