This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much to charge for a house call?

#1103251Posted 10/22/2013 2:57:33 PM(edited)
$20, lunch and maybe an HJ if you're into that stuff.
#12Digital StormPosted 10/22/2013 3:12:29 PM
What do you value your time at? I mean, that's the real question. I value my time highly so I charge highly. Even at my rates I still get two or three calls a week for tech support. But, I also provide interim support for RMA procedures as well as 24/7 (short of a few days) support.

If he absolutely insists on paying, charge what you think is fair for the amount of time you spent on the problem/issue.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#13Loserman15Posted 10/22/2013 3:14:51 PM
20 or 30 dollars.
#14Fustmonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 3:51:21 PM
What do you value your time at?

For this guy? Like I said I want to do it for free. But I'm asking because other times I am in this same position with other people, where I want to help them but I don't necessarily want to actually do it... So I'm trying to get an idea of what I should ask from them. I'm kind of looking to charge him in the middle, since he insists on paying.

He insist on paying, and he wants me to name the price, He doesn't want to go with the "whatever you think it's worth" answer.

I'm going with $20 in this case.

ThePCElitist posted...
Just ask for $50-$100 and leave it at that. I mean Geeksquad would charge at least $500 for the same thing.
---

I could ask that much if it wasn't friends and family, but my friends and family aren't too needy so I don't mind helping them out occasionally when it comes up. I consider this guy on that level. I shouldn't be asking anything but he insists.

Thanks everybody, this gives me some ideas when it does come up for others.
---
How many mods does it take to screw in a light bulb? "the lightbulb is technically not violating the TOS so we're powerless to do anything about it"
#15lionheart5656Posted 10/22/2013 4:05:25 PM
Killah Priest posted...
Tell him to buy you some pizza and beer or something.

I had someone who would refuse to give me no less than 100, I'd just go there every month run CCleaner and he would force me to take the 100.

He probably wanted to be more than friends.

Your continuing denial and/or ignorance of his feelings is crushing his soul each day little by little.

Way to go.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#16datopgamerPosted 10/22/2013 5:33:19 PM(edited)
$20 to $40 at most since you dont really want to charge anyways. Or just get him to buy your next lunch. When I help friends out I dont ask for anything but they buy me lunch. When I helped a friend pick out and install a graphics card I got a code for Arkham Origins.
---
Posted using GameFlux