This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think if there wasn't Piracy there'd be more PC ports?

#21ThePonyColliePosted 10/23/2013 8:04:51 AM
yes. it might have little impact on the profits, but devs don't want to take risks. today, it seems the safest bet to profit is to release the games through steam.
#22petran78Posted 10/27/2013 9:59:41 AM
Dead or Alive 2 limited Edition the most downloaded videogame in history 90 million + downloads

so no....
---
Q.You want so see some other stuff? What Console? A.Console? Q.What platform? A.Uh, Moral Turpitude?
Q.PC it is, then.
#23AllHailTheDead6Posted 10/27/2013 10:47:37 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
Yep. There is a stigma right or wrong about it with pc. Piracy is one of those stereotypes that holds some truth but is overblown beyond recognition. A downloaded game is not necessarily a lost sale yet companies like to make up numbers to dispute this without ever having the means to legitimately test their results.

pretty much this

every game that I have enjoyed I have bought

Games that I "demo" and dont enjoy I usually uninstall about 5 min later

if you call loosing a sale selling a terrible product that people wont pay for, then I guess they lost a sale
---
Steam ID AllHailTheDead
*Puts on his robe and wizard hat*
#24akuma634Posted 10/27/2013 12:05:17 PM
I think that's a cop out. Piracy has been around since floppy discs. There have been people modding consoles to play pirated games ever since somebody invented the mod chip. Even Chrono Trigger on SNES had a built in game breaker for pirated versions.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#25TheMoonJumperPosted 10/27/2013 12:28:07 PM
mexicannon posted...
Yes. I'm sorry for the developers but its amazing what you can pirate on a PC. Literally get thousands of games for free

I guess if you don't enjoy playing online...
#26AsucaHayashiPosted 10/27/2013 12:43:58 PM(edited)
PCs already get plenty of ports on top of exclusives and simultaneous multiplatform releases.

eg. within the last couple of months we've seen
castlevania: LoS
KoFXIII
state of decay
enslaved
brothers: tale of two sons
scribblenauts unlimited
guacamelee
skullgirls
pixel junk monsters ultimate(only released on vita)
mortal kombat
joe danger 2

etc. etc.

and games like deadly premonition and injustice are also coming up.

as a single gaming platform it takes maybe about two consoles' worth of releases to beat it and only the blind and ignorant continue to believe the PC library is lacking.

so to answer the question nope, we would most likely not see more releases than the plentiful amount that we already have but only pitiful and pathetic publishers pandering to the console crowd by diminishing the profitability of PC gaming with piracy excuses all the while introducing their own client and releasing their entire library on PC in order to maximize the profits they not-so-secretly know is there(ubisoft).
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#27PraetorXynPosted 10/27/2013 12:46:03 PM
Barring 1st party console exclusives, what games worth a damn besides RDR did the PC not get?

RDR was also very overrated. Moreover, the reason it didn't come to PC was because Rockstar San Diego had a lot of trouble with the development (they had to get help from another Rockstar studio if memory serves), and it would have been to much effort to port the messy code.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9