This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Top 10 PC games of all time

#41Julian_Caesar(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2013 7:45:03 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
All these lists do is point out how different all our tastes are. That and indicate with relative accuracy, how old we are.

I couldn't make a list like this because I still enjoy new games all the time and rarely go back to the classics. I don't dwell on the past and instead look to the future. Yeah yeah, new games are trash and casual city, blah blah blah. I'm happier than you clearly.

Agree with the first part.

I disagree with the second not because I think new games are dumb or because I'm happier than you, but because new games have no choice except to tread ground already taken by the classics. Nothing wrong with that, either...playing Fallout with FPS elements makes it new and exciting. If I'd played New Vegas on PC instead of Xbox, it'd probably be #2 on this list.

Still, anyone who's played Star Control 2 and Mass Effect knows that they share a LOT of overarching gameplay elements. The biggest difference is the graphical interface, and the fact that Mass Effect uses FPS rather than space combat. The story is remarkably similar too, though the timing of certain "reveals" is different. Other than that...let's list the similarities:

1. You are the captain of a top-secret, top-end spaceship that is launched from Earth with the mission to better mankind's place in the galaxy.
2. You launch a rover onto planets in order to gather minerals and/or battle various life-forms, occasionally even to uncover important artifacts.
3. You use those minerals to make improvements to your ship.
4. As you travel the stars, you make friends or foes with various alien races, each with their own unique characteristics...some of whom you can even recruit to join your crew.
5. You have to be careful what you say; single sentences can ruin relationships forever.
6. Most of mankind's advanced technology is taken from a very old civilization; we don't really understand it but we do know how to use it.

7. The big baddies look an awful lot like giant squids.
8. Their main motivation for oppressing organic life is to prevent its chaotic nature from causing more harm, mostly by exterminating all of it.

I guess there's not as many as I remembered.

But while we're on the subject of artistic influence, the end of Mass Effect 3 is taken almost word-for-word from Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov. Which finally resolves, at least for me, just why the ending is so bad, even though it's not an inherently bad idea. It's because it's an Asimov-style ending to a Spielberg/Lucas-style adventure. It has nothing to do with internal inconsistency (of which there were many if you look hard enough, and few if you don't) and everything to do with literary inconsistency.

>_> okay time to stop vomiting words. Not sure where all this is coming from.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#42Xeeh_BitzPosted 10/26/2013 8:38:41 PM
1. CoD
2. CoD 2
3. CoD Modern Warfare
4. CoD Modern Warfare 2
5. CoD Modern Warfare 3
6. CoD Black Ops 1
7. CoD Black Ops 2
8. CoD WaW
9. Halo 2
10. Dead Island
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8.1!
#43my_name_is_EdPosted 10/26/2013 10:47:44 PM(edited)
1. Jak 2
2. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
3. Jak 3
4. Star Wars Episode 1: Racer
5. Diablo 2
6. Civilization 5 + G&K + BNW
7. Star Wars: Racer Revenge
8. Fable
9. Sleeping Dogs
10. Brutal Legend

These are all PC games in that they were made using PC's

Don't even start with me
---
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png
#44member1982Posted 10/27/2013 12:59:42 AM
1. Freelancer
2. Mafia
3. Syndicate Wars
4. Fury3
5. Diablo
6. Homeworld
7. Call of Duty 2
8. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
9. Knights of the Old Republic
10. Descent: FreeSpace The Great War
---
Asus P5Q\Intel Q9450 +Noctua D14|8GB DDR2, HD4850OC 1GB, 120GB OCZ, 1.5TB, 2TB, Win8x64P, Lian Li PC-A07A, Antec 550W, Dell 24", MacBook Pro 15" 2006
#45InTheEyesOfFirePosted 10/27/2013 2:03:04 AM
Deus Ex
D2
Thief 2
CS 1.6
Titan Quest
Doom 2
Witcher 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Vampire: Masquerade Bloodlines
Shadow Warrior (classic)
---
It's time for revenge.
Currently playing: Vampire: The Masquerade, TDM, Jedi Outcast.
#46Bellum_SacrumPosted 10/27/2013 3:08:56 AM
Any list that does not include:

Torment
Fallout 1 or 2
Gothic 1 or 2

is invalid.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#47Kerr AvonPosted 10/27/2013 11:18:36 AM
In alphabetical order (saves me having to work out the order by preference!),

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham City
Bioshock 2,
Deus Ex,
Half-Life,
Half-Life 2,
No One Lives Forever 2
System Shock 2,
Unreal Tournament (1999),
Unreal Tournament 2004,

Though like most people's list, it would probably be slightly different if you ask me on a different day. And Arkham Origins isn't on the list as I've not yet finished it (only played a couple of hours so far, and so far it's not grabbing me like the other two did) so I can't really judge it.
---
"PCs don't catch viruses or malware. Stupid users do." - The Cranky Hermit.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/