This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have you purchased any "Early Access" Games?

#11zxelmanPosted 10/23/2013 3:43:03 AM(edited)
TimePharaoh posted...
Starforge which looks like it would be cool, but it's also all but guaranteed they're going to be abandoned.

I thought this a couple of times throughout its development as well. But surprisingly it's still being worked on after this long. I'd think if it was going to be abandoned, it would've happened sooner, but that doesn't mean I don't think it can still happen to the game. It's ambitious for them so I'd expect it to take awhile before anything fun actually gets implemented.

(My experience with Early Access/betas, so the rest of this post is not @TC but more for @topic) Post is a bit long.

So far I haven't regretted an Early Access purchase. I've bought only 2 (5 if you count outside of Steam):

A bit obvious to some, Starforge, but half off.
Blade Symphony, half off.
Path of Exile closed beta last year.
Cube World.
Edit: Minecraft in Alpha, forgot to mention this.

But I have little to say about Minecraft. Almost regretted it because I hate vanilla, but the sheer fact that every person I knew had this game, and that modpacks are easy to install makes this game fun to play every once in awhile.

Starforge was pretty fun with friends for a little while, and every once in awhile I still mess around in it with them. I look forward to whatever happens to it.

Blade Symphony is very entertaining for a beta, again especially with friends. Haven't played a game like this since ever.

I was very aware PoE was going to be fully f2p, but I got interested and intrigued by the developer's constant patches and support for the community, plus I liked Diablo 2. I wasn't disappointed. I still enjoy the game to this day. One tiny story I've had with their support was that because I bought early access into their beta, I got 150 points to spend, and so I used them for 5 extra stash tabs. Then later a promotion giving people 1 extra stash tab for every 5 you purchase came out. The developers would give any person that bought MORE than 5 tabs before the promotion with 1 extra. I appealed anyways with a short e-mail, despite not meeting the condition technically, and they still gave me an extra one. Wasn't expecting it, but was happy.

Cube World was pretty special for a work in progress. Sure I'm waiting for an update simply because I want keybinds (I need a new mouse, mouse scroll works but pushing it down to dodge only works a quarter of the time, and dodging would be useful in this game) but it feels polished for an alpha. Never got a crash, frame rate drop, or gamebreaking bug, at least for me. Gameplay itself is great, but it needs content. So I'll wait for the next update to really dive into it.

But I have played in quite a few f2p betas, but I'll only mention one.

Warframe is the most interesting f2p I've been playing since ever, Vindictus (not a beta) coming 2nd. Warframe has nice developer support, but seeing as no one is perfect, they make mistakes even now to this day, but less than any publisher would've with such a title filled with great potential. Probably the most time I've spent playing a game and being involved in a community, Monster Hunter series coming 2nd. I look forward to see what they do with this.
#12Eclypse9810Posted 10/23/2013 3:44:18 AM
Yes, Xenonauts.
---
Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
#13OrgeLambartPosted 10/23/2013 4:24:37 AM
The Dead Linger.... it's clearly not completed but they tend to update it fairly regularly.
---
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart
#14LiquidDeePosted 10/23/2013 5:06:14 AM
Not yet,but i'm interested in a few games.

Is "Sir you are being Hunted" any good?

It's 50% off right now and i was considering buying it today.
#15samurai1900Posted 10/23/2013 5:14:59 AM
Hmm, Minecraft during alpha(or was it beta?), was good back, stomps now with mods~
---
For Shuppet fans and lovers - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ShuppetForLife
http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperSamurai190//
#16LostHisHardcorePosted 10/23/2013 5:17:13 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
LostHisHardcore posted...
Does Prison Architect count? It's still in alpha.

Yes. It launched through Early Access, and still is in Early Access.

I'm intrigued about the games that aren't going to make it, see the rage of people who bought it. Stuff like Kenshi and Starforge which looks like it would be cool, but it's also all but guaranteed they're going to be abandoned.

Anyone disappointed in the state/progress made in something you bought?

In that case then yes.
---
"What we've got here is a failure to communicate!"
"I'm you, I'm your shadow!"
#17MetalDialgaPosted 10/23/2013 5:53:55 AM
Rome II: Total War
---
PSN: Varkarsh
Metroid fan all the way.
#18Killah PriestPosted 10/23/2013 6:14:17 AM
Nope, I don't pay for early access even if its cheaper. What a scam.

Don't bother trying to debate me on it either.

Ohh and I'm no peasant. ;)
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#19SinisterSlayPosted 10/23/2013 7:03:44 AM
Archeblade.

The game appears to be dying but I don't regret it, I got a good amount of mileage out of my 20 bucks.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#20codyorrPosted 10/23/2013 2:12:00 PM
I've never purchased an early access game but I have funded some Kickstarter projects that gave me an alpha to final.
The Dead Linger
Planetary Annihilation