This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best way to have strong Wifi through a whole house?

#1YaLikeDagsPosted 10/23/2013 12:22:06 AM
Currently using a Netgear WNR2000 router with a Diamond WR300N extender. Router is placed about waist high on a steel/glass desk, right next to my PC and modem. Large one story house. Been fairly unreliable and inconsistent. I'll regularly have to reset the router or extender, and when they are both working, speeds across the house aren't what they should be. My family members all use iPhones which with our wifi setup get 1-2mb/s speeds maybe.

I tried replacing my router with a Apple Airport Extreme base station today and while it resulted in significantly faster speeds in the immediate vicinity (iPhone wifi speeds went up to 14mb/s), the range (without my extender anyways) was not nearly long enough to cover the whole house. I don't know if it's the walls between the router and other rooms, interference or what, but the Amazon reviews suggested incredible range, which I'm just not seeing.

So what's the best option here? Can I replace the Airport Extreme with two Airport Express units and have one be the router and the other an extender or something? We do have ethernet running through a few bedrooms in the house, but we need wireless dependability. I'm not tech savvy at all with wireless communications so I really just need some help.

Thanks.
---
=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#
I like Caravans more.
#2PhilOnDezPosted 10/23/2013 12:49:57 AM
Do the routers you're trying have antennas? If not, just forget even trying to use them, they're worthless. I went through 3 thinking I had gotten defective ones, laptops wouldn't connect even if you held them inches away and these weren't little cheap ones, they were enterprise grade. I just disabled the wifi and hooked up my old $50 Linksys router, the difference is night and day.

Just to make sure I had maximum coverage, I also made a pair of directional antenna since I keep the router on one end of a large two story house. Just google 'windsurfer antenna' if you need a bit more.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3MasterDonGeroPosted 10/23/2013 3:44:45 AM
Live in a cardboard box.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#4fallenswordsPosted 10/23/2013 4:09:18 AM
you could wire you house...
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 8/28/2011 10:09:48 AM: http://bit.ly/jJ2ZNS
Katawa Shoujo changed my life. http://katawa-shoujo.com/
#5LordSeiferPosted 10/23/2013 4:58:57 AM
if you already have ethernet running around then sounds pretty easy to setup an additional wifi extender (repeater, second router, what have you) in one of the other bedrooms in addition to your now working router.
---
^ this
#6YaLikeDags(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 8:37:02 AM
To be honest I hadn't tried hooking the extender or another router up in another pre-wired bedroom. My extender right now just plugs into a wall outlet.

Still though out of curiosity, I could be standing 1 foot away from my router and still get only 3-4mb/s speeds on my iPhone. So I'm wondering if the airport routers would be worth the investment?

Can I use a airport express to replace my netgear router and then another airport express in one of the opposite bedrooms as an extender?
---
=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#
I like Caravans more.
#7YaLikeDags(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 11:30:39 AM
Ended up buying a Netgear WNDR3400v3 dual band router along with a Netgear powerline 500 XWNB5201 WiFi AP kit.

The router is much faster than my last (WNR2000), even faster than the airport extreme I tried. Couldn't get the powerline set working though (very frustrating) so I just set up my existing Diamond extender with the new router and its giving me much nicer speeds across the house than before. Disappointed I couldn't figure out the powerline, but for the wireless speeds I'm getting now (~14mb/s down on the side of the house opposite the router) I think I can just return the powerline kit, save $90 and be happy.

Netflix doesn't pause or buffer forever anymore!
---
=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#
I like Caravans more.