This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ready to join the PC master race

#1battlfrnt2006Posted 10/23/2013 9:31:13 AM
In the past few months, I've really begun to see the bright side of potentially owning a gaming PC over a console. I recently got an Asus notebook that can play some slightly older games at high settings, and have really fallen in love with not only Steam, but mods for games as well. Seeing as how most of the games I play make it to, or are released simultaneously, on PC anyway I am really becoming less interested in Next Gen consoles, and moreso interested in getting a decent gaming PC.

So I ask you this; what would you recommend for a desktop rig for less than $700? I am not opposed to prebuilt systems, as this is all new to me. But any suggestions of where to start are welcome.
---
GT: CapraDaemon / PSN (Vita/PSP): mtllica / SteamID: falloutnut
Now Playing: GTA5, Final Fantasy XIV ARR (PC), Warframe, Mercenaries
#2Vs1991Posted 10/23/2013 9:33:40 AM
spend more then $700 or wait a year or 2. It'll go out of date pretty damn quick cause of the new consoles coming out. devs gonna make the games need higher system requirements so a budget build will be ass real quick
#3battlfrnt2006(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 9:37:31 AM
I was thinking I get one now that can do medium settings, and then upgrade components from there. I'm not looking for something that is spectacular out of the gate, but a capable starting point.
---
GT: CapraDaemon / PSN (Vita/PSP): mtllica / SteamID: falloutnut
Now Playing: GTA5, Final Fantasy XIV ARR (PC), Fallout: New Vegas (PC), The Stanley Parable
#4LootmanPosted 10/23/2013 9:39:16 AM
Yeah uh.... Sure you can join us...
Uh...
Just um, uh...
Go out and buy a long weight, you'll um, need it for your PC...
Yeah.
---
\(._.)/ Kanakiri posted...
._.)/ I think you broke Lootman guys
#5pothocketPosted 10/23/2013 9:40:31 AM
Yes, you can still play games in 720 mode on a $700 computer and still have them look amazing. 720 on a computer looks much better than 720 on a console.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#6TheOceIotPosted 10/23/2013 9:44:29 AM
Do you need a monitor, operating systems, speakers, and/or mouse and keyboard?
---
you just can't live in that negative way...make way for the positive day
#7StormKMDPosted 10/23/2013 9:47:53 AM
battlfrnt2006 posted...
I was thinking I get one now that can do medium settings, and then upgrade components from there. I'm not looking for something that is spectacular out of the gate, but a capable starting point.

When you get your parts and then realize you can't run games, you'll wish you saved for better parts. There's nothing to gain from buying parts if you're just gonna turn around and upgrade in the next few years.
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
#8pothocketPosted 10/23/2013 9:49:02 AM(edited)
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128627

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103962

Graphics card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202011

Clearly not the best but not a bad start to a $700 build. That leaves you plenty of money to work with to get windows 64 bit, 8gigs of RAM, decent power supply, and tower (plus the shipping costs)
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#9EStar999Posted 10/23/2013 9:57:44 AM(edited)
Your budget and and timing is under the worse case scenario.

We are currently at the point where an i5 will not be enough anymore to play every game. Wait until the requirements have become more stable so you don't waste your money on bad parts.
#10Silent Sniper IVPosted 10/23/2013 9:58:57 AM(edited)
Yeah, the problem is that PCs have been super easy/cheap since the last gen lasted so long. It essentially meant that you really didn't need to upgrade since everything was running on 2005 hardware. If you buy a low/mid tier rig right now, you're going to need to upgrade in 3-4 years because a lot of games are going to use ps4/360 specs as their minimums. Many games are about to see spec hikes. It's basically worst case scenario as far as timing and budget to build a pc.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned