This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dont Starve on Sale!!!

#21KillerTrufflePosted 10/23/2013 3:43:27 PM
JKatarn posted...
arleas posted...
....So is it good or not @_@

It's a survival game. If you like survival games, you'll probably enjoy it (though I can't say for sure). Basically, you get thrown into a strange world (randomly created) and you're warned to do something before it gets dark. Apparently monsters come out at night, and/or you're just insane and imagine that monsters come out. Either way, you have to have some kind of light to keep you from going nutz/dying.

SO you build a fire, scrounge for food, try to build stuff to help you survive, and all the while, the days are getting longer...and then shorter... and then winter starts (which makes finding food even harder)...

You can unlock other characters as well, and each character has their own abilities and weaknesses. There's frequent updates (like once a month or so?) with new stuff added. It's well worth the price if you like this sort of thing.

I had thought campfires were supposed to stabilize/raise your sanity, as well as being near pigmen villages, but neither of those increased my sanity a bit. Not quite sure how you go about stabilizing your sanity - great game though.

Best way to improve sanity is by eating proper food - especially cooked meals like ratatouille or meatballs. There are also some other craftable items that can increase sanity. Building prototypes of new items also improves sanity. And one of the cheapest, easiest ways is to just pick wildflowers.

Being near fire/light just keeps your sanity from *draining* too fast. The only person who can actually stabilize sanity with a campfire is the pyromaniac girl.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#22Bigj089Posted 10/23/2013 3:45:36 PM
JKatarn posted...
arleas posted...
....So is it good or not @_@

It's a survival game. If you like survival games, you'll probably enjoy it (though I can't say for sure). Basically, you get thrown into a strange world (randomly created) and you're warned to do something before it gets dark. Apparently monsters come out at night, and/or you're just insane and imagine that monsters come out. Either way, you have to have some kind of light to keep you from going nutz/dying.

SO you build a fire, scrounge for food, try to build stuff to help you survive, and all the while, the days are getting longer...and then shorter... and then winter starts (which makes finding food even harder)...

You can unlock other characters as well, and each character has their own abilities and weaknesses. There's frequent updates (like once a month or so?) with new stuff added. It's well worth the price if you like this sort of thing.

I had thought campfires were supposed to stabilize/raise your sanity, as well as being near pigmen villages, but neither of those increased my sanity a bit. Not quite sure how you go about stabilizing your sanity - great game though.

Eating food helps raise it, I think cooking it gives a bigger boost. Being near a campfire just stops it from dropping IIRC as being in the dark or running around at dusk makes it drop. Also sleeping completely fills it I believe but you wake up in the morning nearly starved. There's also a few items you can make and equip that fill sanity, the Garland which is made out of flowers which are pretty abundant.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#23arleasPosted 10/23/2013 4:44:18 PM
Yeah raising sanity is kinda hard unless you know what to do... it's a lot like minecraft in the way that you don't know what does what without checking the wiki. Some people would insist this is for the best but I think I'd probably never figure out half of what you can do without seeing it in the wiki first.

I think the first thing I discovered that helped sanity was wearing a garland made out of flowers, but those wilt/spoil over time, so you'd have to make another one eventually...
---
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/astats_card_76561197969913402.png
http://i.imgur.com/Im803Gk.gif
#24CircleOfManiasPosted 10/23/2013 4:46:56 PM
Mudkip57 posted...
Nah. Wait for $1 Humble Bundle

I wish I was oblivious enough to the amount of work that goes into game development to be able to buy a HIB at $1 with a clean conscience. I pay $10 for them and still feel like I'm being cheap.
---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
#25dioxxys(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 8:34:52 PM
Sanity is extremely easy to take care of if you know what you are doing.
You pick flowers, make a garland which gives you a constant sanity boost.
Make a bedroll to sleep in over night. Dont dig up graves, pick evil flowers, spend too much time near monsters or use wormholes too much.

As for anyone still having trouble with the game, the wiki is extremely informative, but I found it to be fun to discover the game for a while without it. If you are still frustrated with the game theres mods in the steam workshop to help you. I try to stay away from the cheating ones, but theres some QoL mods that I love.
#26DownSouth113Posted 10/23/2013 11:01:43 PM
Game didn't impress me, do I enjoy these games? Yes I do. Do I think this is a decent game? No I dont.. I'd say wait for winter sale
---
i5 3570k,Sapphire dual x 7950, 8gb DDR3,ASRock Z77 Pro 4,Apevia Black/Blue X-Trooper, 675 Thermaltake,Windows 8
Steam- Perfectvillain
#27Carbon_DeoxxysPosted 10/24/2013 12:03:45 AM
DownSouth113 posted...
Game didn't impress me, do I enjoy these games? Yes I do. Do I think this is a decent game? No I dont.. I'd say wait for winter sale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNiQ7RT-UTw&t=0m29s