This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Flash Drives stop working on all computers

#1DarthNightmaricPosted 10/23/2013 2:20:04 PM
In the past year, I have gone through 3 flash drives and I'm on my fourth now.

First one (NO NAME is what I'll call it) I pulled out of a socket sideways without safely ejecting and because I pulled it out sideways (at a bad angle) it fell apart, and I put it back together, but it never worked afterward.

Second one (FLASHDRIVE2) I still was not "Safely Removing Hardware" on Windows 7 Home Premium, so it stopped working.

At some point, one of them (presumably the first one) lost its connector (the thing that sticks out and which connects to the computer) somehow (it fell out).

Third one (I called it NO NAME on the Macs at my school, but on Windows 7 it was called Removable Disk (F:)) lasted a lot longer because I used SRH (Safely Eject Hardware and Media) but sometimes it doesn't work, so I was forced to eject it unsafely sometimes. On Monday morning, it gave out after about 6 months. I had 4 unfinished video games I was making (still in text phase, but lots of text), thousands of kilobytes of source material for said video games, and several unfinished books on there.
Each time, it has just vanished. The shortcuts are on Local Disk (C:) but they're not showing up in Device Manager or anywhere else.
THEY JUST VANISHED.
Not a naming issue. They are GONE.
The fourth one (FLASHDRIVE4) works fine for now.
Is there any way to salvage those flash drives? Please help me recover the content of them.
---
General, Rogue 14. 2 Gold Medals, 13 Ace Medals, 10 Silver Medals, 1 Bronze Medal. I want an Xbox One, a PS4, a Wii U, a GBA, an N64, an X360, PS1-4, and a 3DS.
#2Freakwave003Posted 10/23/2013 2:22:32 PM
Unfortunately, flash drives are just like that. External harddrive is more reliable, so you'd probably be better just getting one.
---
i7 3770K @ 4.4 GHz | GA-Z77-D3H | Corsair H100i | 16GB HyperX Beast | ASUS GTX 770 | Intel 520 SSD | Seasonic 660 Platinum | Corsair 500r
#3DarthNightmaric(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 2:25:01 PM
DarthNightmaric posted...
In the past year, I have gone through 3 flash drives and I'm on my fourth now.

First one (NO NAME is what I'll call it) I pulled out of a socket sideways without safely ejecting and because I pulled it out sideways (at a bad angle) it fell apart, and I put it back together, but it never worked afterward.

Second one (FLASHDRIVE2) I still was not "Safely Removing Hardware" on Windows 7 Home Premium, so it stopped working.

At some point, one of them (presumably the first one) lost its connector (the thing that sticks out and which connects to the computer) somehow (it fell out).

Third one (I called it NO NAME on the Macs at my school, but on Windows 7 it was called Removable Disk (F:)) lasted a lot longer because I used SRH (Safely Eject Hardware and Media) but sometimes it doesn't work, so I was forced to eject it unsafely sometimes. On Monday morning, it gave out after about 6 months. I had 4 unfinished video games I was making (still in text phase, but lots of text), thousands of kilobytes of source material for said video games, and several unfinished books on there.
Each time, it has just vanished. The shortcuts are on Local Disk (C:) but they're not showing up in Device Manager or anywhere else.
THEY JUST VANISHED.
Not a naming issue. They are GONE.
The fourth one (FLASHDRIVE4) works fine for now.
Is there any way to salvage those flash drives? Please help me recover the content of them.

However, FLASHDRIVE4's driver software did not install properly on my laptop (it took too long, it seems) and whenever I search the DRIVERS folder in System32, it takes a long time, and then I get the message that says something like:

Timeout period run out.

or something like that.

I need at least a way to view FLASHDRIVE4 on my laptop.
---
General, Rogue 14. 2 Gold Medals, 13 Ace Medals, 10 Silver Medals, 1 Bronze Medal. I want an Xbox One, a PS4, a Wii U, a GBA, an N64, an X360, PS1-4, and a 3DS.
#4DarthNightmaric(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 2:32:42 PM
WHY ARE THERE MORE SOCIAL TOPICS THAT PEOPLE ARE DISCUSSING THAN HELP TOPICS?
---
#5DarthNightmaric(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 2:34:13 PM
BUMP.
---
#6d209999Posted 10/23/2013 2:38:29 PM
DarthNightmaric posted...
WHY ARE THERE MORE SOCIAL TOPICS THAT PEOPLE ARE DISCUSSING THAN HELP TOPICS?

BECAUSE PEOPLE WHO BUMP THEIR TOPICS EVERY TWO MINUTES AND TYPE IN ALL CAPS IN SPITE OF HAVING THEIR QUESTION ALREADY ANSWERED ARE INCREDIBLY ANNOYING

That's why.
---
*under construction*
#7R i c kPosted 10/23/2013 3:06:55 PM
It's generally a bad idea to trust transportable media with important data. It's not an archive or backup platform. If you want to archive or backup data, do it to an external HDD or burn it to discs and just use flash drives for moving copies of data.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#8DarthNightmaric(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 6:57:21 AM
R i c k posted...
It's generally a bad idea to trust transportable media with important data. It's not an archive or backup platform. If you want to archive or backup data, do it to an external HDD or burn it to discs and just use flash drives for moving copies of data.

My new one doesn't work on the laptop I want it to work on, but works everywhere else.

Whenever I first installed it, it didn't install properly, and whenever I search the drive itself for software, it says "Timeout period expired (3000 milliseconds reached)."

Can anybody help me with this? The laptop knows FLASHDRIVE4 is there, but can't install the driver quick enough, and whenever I try to install it in the DRIVER file, the spot for it (usbfilter.sys) doesn't show up, and everywhere I check other than the flash drive itself has a result saying that Windows has determined the driver software is up to date.
---
#9DarthNightmaric(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 1:09:54 PM
I really need help, please.
---